Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bittersweet

Today my dear sweet 95-year-old friend Mrs. Cordie Hawkins passed away. I was heartbroken the moment Matthew told me as I've not seen her in a month. But in the same moment I rejoiced! Mrs. Cordie has loved Jesus for most of her life and now she is in His presence. Also she is free from her earthly body and all it's ailments. And also she is now reunited with her husband, her parents and three of her children who passed away before her. I cherished my friendship with Mrs. Cordie as our conversations allowed me to see things from her perspective, one that did not involve the fast-paced, materialism-driven culture in which I live.

Mrs. Cordie was born in North Carolina and then moved to this area as a girl. She married and had nine children, six boys and three girls. They had a farm and built a house on that land in the 1960's. She lived in that same home until her death. I have been blessed to get to know all six of her still living children who all live nearby. I don't know how often I will see them from now on as it was at Mrs. Cordie's home I ran into them.

After telling Philip that Mrs. Cordie has died and now is in heaven, I asked him if he was sad. He said, "No, I'm not sad. Don't you remember that we're going to heaven too and we'll see her there!" It made my heart soar.

I do praise God for that hope. It's not a hope like "I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow." But instead a hope to come of what has already been promised to me.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful." Hebrews 10:23

"Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in Him." 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14

Here is Mrs. Cordie with Philip and Braewyn.







I love you, Mrs. Cordie. I'll see you soon!!

No comments: