Monday, March 22, 2010

Mission Trip this weekend...

Thanks Bethany for being curious because I hadn't thought about getting back on here today. Anyway, yes I'm heading to New Orleans this Friday with about 20 members of our church. It's a youth mission trip to assist a church there at which one of our former youth members works. We'll be driving down on Friday (I think it takes around 10 hours!!). Saturday morning and afternoon will be spent giving out church info packets inviting local families to their Easter service the next weekend. Saturday evening, we'll be hosting a youth party for the teens of that church. We'll worship with that church on Sunday morning, including our whole group singing "God of This City". Sunday afternoon, we'll be visiting the French Quarter for some shopping and Louisiana culture. KidFuge (a type of Vacation Bible School really charged up on caffeine and led by our teens) will hit New Orleans on Monday from 9am to 3pm. Monday night, we'll be visiting our youth pastor's favorite NO restaurant for some authentic Cajun food. The trip wraps up with us traveling home on Tuesday. Sounds like a packed schedule, but I'm excited!

Seems like short notice but I just signed onto the trip this past Wednesday. Matthew and I attended two week long out-of-state trips with the youth before having Philip. Then we went to Myrtle Beach with them when Philip was 18-months-old. Since then I haven't gone on any major trips. At first, I tried to talk Matthew into attending too but he said for me to go and he'd stay home with our kids. My mom will watch them on Friday and then fortunately Ruth Ann will be on Spring Break next Monday and Tuesday and will watch them then. It's really a great opportunity and came at the perfect time.

Our pastor challenged the entire church to fast (give up something you value in order to spend more time thinking about the Lord) during the month of March in preparation for Easter. I've chosen to fast all liquids other than water. It's been a great chance to focus on how Jesus is the living water (John chapter 4) and to realize He is really all I need and on Him I should depend completely. I've often felt my protection came from Matthew and purpose was in raising Philip and Braewyn. obviously I love my husband and children dearly. However after hearing Anne Graham Lotz, the daughter of Billy Graham, speak on Saturday and now preparing to leave town on Friday for New Orleans, I am convinced that my reason for living is to bring glory to Christ through my life. I can't wait to share the recap of my trip when I get home!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

What a great trip! Enjoy it!

*Jess* said...

how exciting! Have fun!