Thursday, April 08, 2010

What I Learned While in New Orleans...

1. It takes a LONG time to drive to New Orleans from South Carolina. Especially while riding on a church bus with 4 teenage girls and 22 teenage boys!

2. Thanks to those boys on the bus, I know the words to "Ice Ice Baby" and "Party in the USA".

3. The city of Norco, LA is based around the New Orleans Refinery Company.

4. There are many wonderful people in Norco including the Smith family and Emily.

5. I am a grown up able to chaperone four wonderful teenage girls far from their families and far from mine.

6. The French Quarter has that special charm you've heard about but in the early afternoon, there's really nothing to worry about (especially when walking in a group of 15).

7. When called upon to give a testimony or present the gospel, the teen boys of my church are amazing.

8. Walking house to house with three teenage boys in a neighborhood I couldn't find again hanging info packets on front doors inviting people to Easter Sunday service at FBC Norce is a fabulous way to spend a few hours.

9. I passed many thousands of people and wondered if they know Jesus. Seeing many living blatantly for worldly desires, I was quick to judge but then quick to repent and lay them before His feet in prayer. I stopped to think that even though some in New Orleans might look extravagantly outrageous, Jesus still longs for them to know Him.

10. Stepping out in faith and leaving behind everything (just for a few days!) that I thought meant security did bring me to a place of recognizing that Jesus should be my sole sustainer and provider. Matthew, Philip and Braewyn are definitely blessings in my life, but Jesus is the center.

(A slideshow of our trip is in the works. Blogger wasn't cooperating tonight in the uploading process.)

1 comment:

Jo Ellen said...

Kim, I am very disappointed that you didn't already know the lyrics to "Ice, Ice, Baby"!