Thursday, July 29, 2010

Big News


Next spring, our family will grow by one small, loud member. I'm expecting our third child and although feeling very blessed, the reality is still sinking in. I took a home pregnancy test on June 22. It was positive which didn't completely surprise me but still did at the same time. Matthew and I were thrilled but waited to tell the kids for a few days. I had an appointment on the following Monday (June 28; Matthew's birthday). The ultrasound tech somewhat crushed my spirit when she told me I was not even four weeks and therefore couldn't measure the baby nor give us a due date. We left having been told not to tell anyone because there was no guarantee the pregnancy was viable but to come back in a month. If I was still pregnant, then I would be told a due date. So was I pregnant or not? This made my anxiety level skyrocket and I no longer felt the queazy pregnant feeling but a knot in my stomach feeling. Anyway, we told our immediate family and a few close friends.

The following weeks involved our trip to Kentucky and teaching VBS. I told more friends as I was queazy more often and snacking that much more often. The weeks dragged by and I confided in a friend about my fears over the pregnancy (was it real? should I be telling others?). She reassured me that God creates new life from conception so even if something happened, God had blessed us with a new baby and to just focus on that. Until the doctors definitively told us differently, I was pregnant.

Finally Monday, July 26 came and my follow-up appointment. I was no longer fearing if I was pregnant as my body was reacting with all of the normal early pregnancy symptoms: heartburn, intense hunger, headaches, and not being able to button my pants. The ultrasound this time around was much more comforting (a good thing too as I was so nervous going in). There was our baby, tiny but with a strong 166 heartbeats per minute. We were given a due date of March 1. And plus I was thankful to know we would be having only ONE baby. I was wondering as my waistband at 8 weeks pregnant was matching about 5 months along from my pregnancy with Philip. The rumors are right about third baby just pops out when you find out.

My same dear friend knocked on our door the next day with her two kids. They gave us the most precious gift. A frame reading, "mom + dad = me". She said they printed Philip and Braewyn's photos from my Facebook album and had found an ultrasound pic of a 10-week baby on the internet. I've updated the frame with my real ultrasound pictures. Thank you so much, sweet Steinert family. I praise Jesus that you can love on all three of our kids from just up the street.

5 comments:

Casey Wallace said...

YAY!!!! Congrats guys! Mom told me the news before I read it here. We're excited for you and praying for an easy and uneventful pregnancy. So sorry I missed you guys in KY!

Whitlocks said...

So happy for you guys. Congratulation!
-Katie

Lori said...

Hooray--the big news is posted! We are so excited to be getting a new niece or nephew.

What a sweet gift (frame).

*Jess* said...

oh Kim! Congratulations! I am so sorry that your first month of pregnancy was filled with suspense. Hopefully you'll have a wonderful "textbook" pregnancy here on out! You look wonderful! And I looked that pregnant with Jaina, if you can believe it. Everyone was convinced I was having twins!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Kim-I am so happy for you and your "growing" family, what a blessing! :-)