Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Welcome to the world, Sully!

I am grateful to introduce our newest little Brooks family member, Sullivan James Brooks!  Looking at our baby boy, I have to remind myself that he has been inside my body for the last several months and he's really, truly here to stay!  Sully (his everyday nickname) was born last night, January 5th, at 9:25 pm.  He weighs 8 lbs., 1 oz. and is 20 inches long.  Just a quick recap of his birth story begins back on December 16.  I had an OB appt that morning and was surprisingly told I was dilated to 3 cm.  This sent me on a thought pattern that he might be born any day there after.  Well, I had my eyes on Christmas Day, not wanting to have him before that as he would be considered full term by December 25.  Thankfully, the weeks passed and I was still pregnant on Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and a few days after.  This past weekend found me having contractions off and on all day. Yesterday morning I called my OB's office to ask about being seen to know if I had further dilated.  I was right in my guess because the doctor told me I was now at 5 cm!  She filled out paperwork and told me to take it over to Labor & Delivery of our hospital.  I was admitted!

By 1:00 pm yesterday, I found myself in a hospital gown, getting an IV inserted into my arm, and thinking, "This is really happening!"  Matthew and I relaxed as the hours went by. I received an epidural around 4:00 pm, my water was broken at 6:00 pm, and we waited hoping I would reach 10 cm very quickly.  It look a little longer than I expected, but by 9:15 pm, I had the urge to push.  About 15 minutes and 4 pushes later, Sullivan was outside my body and answering the big question we had for the last 9 months... would Philip, Braewyn, Juliet, and Rylan be getting a brother or a sister?  New little brother!!

Our parents had brought the older four kids to the hospital at 8:30 pm so by 10:00 pm, they were all so excited to meet Sully.  It was a little chaotic and I was shaking all over from the epidural and rush of emotions.  Juliet, who had wanted a sister all along, warmed up quickly to Sully after watching Braewyn hold him and wanting to hold him herself.  Rylan tried to poke Sully, but then quickly got distracted by some of the machines in the delivery room.  Philip was happy to see such a tiny, healthy brother.

Without further ado, here is our Sully!










We thank the Lord for you, Sully, and pray that He will help us raise you to love Him.  Philip, Braewyn, Juliet and (one day) Rylan love you so much and will be great big brothers and sisters to you.  You are a precious, new addition to our family!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Oh, Kim! He is so precious!! You are so blessed!!! As I read this I was so overcome with emotion as it has been a long month for you guys. I am so honored to be your friend and can't wait to meet sweet Sully!!

*Jess* said...

Congratulations! I love his name!