Sunday, March 19, 2017

Boys in the Kitchen

I can tell I'm a more relaxed mom these days because I actually enjoy cooking with my children.  When the older ones were young, having them in the kitchen meant messes and more work for me.  Now there are still messes, but how can I say no when cooking with Mommy brings them such joy and the food will taste just as it would had they not helped.

Here's a recap of some recent kitchen adventures and the instructions for making one of our favorite lunches, Toast Pizza!

Toast Pizza is something I just stumbled upon in a moment of hunger and pizza craving.  Start with a loaf of French bread and slice into 1/2 inch thick pieces.

Toast pieces first to keep pizzas from becoming soggy.

Now add kids to the process!  Bread slices are placed on baking pans.  With a good bit of assistance, Sully can get spoonfuls of pizza sauce onto the bread.  

Rylan joins in when it's time to add toppings.  Yes I wash their hands before helping but there is a bit of snacking while adding toppings.  The pizzas might not be as germ-free as if I had made them by myself, but they will soon be going into the oven which will kill all germs.  Plus we're just cooking for our own family!

Toast pizzas are topped to the desire of all family members eating lunch.  Next place the baking pans into a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. 

Warm, gooey and crispy!  I wish you could smell them.

When making cupcakes recently, Sully could hardly believe I let him help with the mixer.

He was a pro at lining the cupcake pan.

Last Friday we celebrated St.Patrick's Day with green muffins and green eggs.  Sadly, I had forgotten about buying ham so we didn't have any to eat with the green eggs.   For a 3-year-old, Rylan is a master egg cracker.  I taught him by saying, "Give it a good smack on the side of the bowl, put your thumbs in the crack, and open it like a book."  He comes running if he hears there are eggs to be cracked!

So much fun to stir drops of green food coloring into beaten eggs.

Not the most visually appealing food to the adult eye, but a whimsical meal for children and really yummy just the same. 

Who knows what Rylan and Sully will want to be when they grow up.  If one of them decide on becoming a chef, I'm thinking that will include fringe benefits for their Mommy who gave her boys their first cooking lessons in the kitchen. Bring on the samples! 

No comments: