Monday, January 01, 2018

What Makes Us Thankful

"Thankful" is a word that's been heavily tossed around the last few weeks.  We just finished this surreal span of life (at least in America) stretching from Thanksgiving to Christmas.  People are more sociable (except for when they kick, scream and steal on Black Friday), nostalgic (until the holiday family gatherings turn ugly), and charitable (well that is true but tax deductions often play a role).  All this has me pondering the attitude of thankfulness.  Where does it come from?  What is it built on? 

Having a houseful of children allows me a front row seat to raw emotion.  There is screaming when a toy is snatched from one by another.  There is stomping and slamming of doors when responsibilities are not fulfilled and privileges are revoked.  There are little bodies lying on the floor very expressively announcing, "I'm NOT tired!"  And then there are the Christmas wish lists!  Christmas is the time of year for children to request to their hearts content and really hope that everything appears on December 25.  It all seems quite silly to a mature, grown adult, but really how different are we from those sweet children?


Pondering what truly makes me thankful I began to wonder... am I really only appreciative of people because of what they can give me?  When someone doesn't follow through on an obligation does it bring them down a notch in my need for them?  Do I tend to nurture relationships with people who really just make my life easier? 


Sadly this might be true of human nature.  We are born with a survival nature and the need to do whatever it takes to have our needs met.  Anyone who has cared for a newborn will attest to that... cue background crying soundtrack!  But thankfully, we are loved by someone who is not at all like that.  His name is Jesus. You may have heard of him, but do you know him?  Really know him? 


Jesus is everywhere these days whether we acknowledge it or not.  Every time someone says Merry Christmas, He is mentioned.  He loves us so much that He left the splendor of Heaven to come to earth as a helpless baby for the purpose of showing us the way to live as He did, the truth of who God is, and the path to eternal life by His sacrificial death on a cross.  And He still shows up if we are ready to see Him.


My dad had a heart attack on June 10, 2015.  It was Vacation Bible School week at our church.  I had been at the hospital with my mom, Matthew and Sully (only 5 months old) for most of the afternoon and into the evening.  My mother-in-law had been able to take our other four kids to VBS.  Around 8:00 pm, my brother was taking my mom home for the night and Matthew and I would drive to church to bring our children home.  Driving down the main road of our town, I saw a cloud hanging in the sky (yes still blue skies at that time during a summer evening).  It was not puffy or whispy, but more of a column shape.  It stayed in front of me all the way.  Finally our church was in sight and the column of cloud extended straight up from it.  It was as if Jesus were speaking to me saying, "Remember, the Israelites?  I led them through the desert and I will lead you through this dark time too."  I was welcomed in the hall of our church by many friends who had heard about Dad being in the hospital and expressing their concern.  


If you are unfamiliar with the story you can read about the pillar of cloud and pillar of fire in the 13th chapter of Exodus in the Bible.  Jesus is at work all around us in so many exciting ways.  If you don't see Him working maybe it's because you haven't taken the time to look for Him.



 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." 
Jeremiah 29:11-13

Jesus loves you and wants you to know Him! 


No comments: