Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Photos from Maine

It's been just a week since we returned home from Maine. The trip feels like a dream now. Being in Maine is as different from South Carolina as a foreign country would be. Life is slow there, but maybe we're just going too fast here. I'm so thankful we were able to take this trip and for my children to explore a beautiful, faraway corner of God's beautiful world.

A side note... my Dad grew up in Massachusetts and I was actually born there. When his grandmother died, his parents moved to Tenants Harbor, ME to live in her house. They lived there for 20 years until moving into a nursing home a year or so ago. Now my cousin Jeff and his family live in their house. All growing up, we would visit Maine but just stay around my grandparents' house or walk to the harbor of Tenants Harbor. This time, we stayed at the Thomaston/Rockland Hampton Inn about 20 minutes away and saw lots of local "attractions" I never knew about. The boat you'll see "sails" (it doesn't have a sail?) to Monhegan Island several times a week. That is about 10 miles off the coast of Maine. We excitedly hitched a ride, free of charge thanks to Jeff who works for the boat company, which took an hour. It was one of the highlights of the trip. The others on the boat saw it as we would in taking the bus across town. Very interesting. I asked a woman if there was a school on the island (there was a sign reading, "No medical staff on island. Enter at your own risk."). She said there is a school for Kindergarten thru 8th grade. This year there are five students enrolled!

BubbleShare: Share photos - Play some Online Games.

2 comments:

*Jess* said...

That picture of Braewyn sleeping on the plane is gorgeous!!

It looks so pretty in Maine! I've never been up North really, just to Boston one time.

Katie Turner said...

Great pictures!
I wanted to let you know -- I privatized our blog for trying not to let random internet fools find our house and see all the pictures of where everything is...I'll send you an invite to it but I don't have your email address.

I'll try to find it on facebook. :)