Thursday, June 03, 2010

Not Sleepy

It's 4:26am. I'm not sleepy. I've read my Bible and several blogs and I seem to be getting more awake than sleepy. Yes, probably bad idea to get on the computer but I couldn't find my copy of "Pride and Prejudice" (yes, I'm adding it to my sidebar as my new book On The Nightstand when I find it and take a pic of it). Random thoughts woke me up and then I had to check on Braewyn anyway.

No, I don't generally check on the kids when I wake up in the middle of the night. I do right before I go to bed because I love seeing their peaceful, sleeping faces. However tonight Braewyn's peaceful, sleeping face has three stitches over her left eye. Last night during supper at church, she tripped and gouged her temple on the corner of a chair. I scooped her up after Ruth Ann said, "She's cut!" Quite horrific as blood quickly ran down her face. The three of us drove to the ER while Matthew and Philip followed behind. Braewyn was amazingly brave. I think the Lord put her into a somewhat natural sedated state due to not having napped all day. The ER doc was wonderful and so caring. He said his 4-year-old daughter split her forehead open last summer and he had to stitch her up. I told him to treat Braewyn like his own.

Two nurses positioned Braewyn into a full-body velcro wrap and called her a burrito. All you could see were her Princess sneakers and her face. After I had held a cotton ball with numbing agent on her cut for 30 minutes before being burrito-ed, Braewyn didn't seem to feel anything the doc did. Thank you, Lord. I had been praying repetitively for that cotton ball to work while I held it and we all watched "Kung Fu Panda" (wonderful pediatric ER rooms!). The doc flushed out her gouge (yes, there was chair debris in her head!) and stitched up our little trooper. She winced a few times but remained motionless, not even struggling against the wrap.

I thank the Lord our trip to the ER is over. Who knows what health issues we'll face in the future but it was amazing to feel the love and peace which comes when your church family is praying. Since her fall happened in the fellowship hall just 15 minutes before our Wednesday night prayer service and adult choir practice were to begin, probably 150 people knew what happened even before we arrived at the ER.

If you were praying, thank you!

And now I think I'm sleepy.

2 comments:

Casey Wallace said...

Oh, that's scary. That happened to AK around 20-months-old and it was horrible! She didn't take too well to the burrito contraption. :) Glad it wasn't traumatic for Braewyn and that she's OK. I'm sure it was hard on you however!

*Jess* said...

I'm so glad she's okay!