Saturday, May 28, 2011

School's Out for Summer


Philip and I finished kindergarten this past Wednesday.  I feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment knowing that he and I worked through the rough days and laughed through the fun days to learn to read, write, understand an overview of history of the world, a lot about magnets, water and light, adding, and telling time.  He also enjoyed field trips to our local youth theatre's plays and recently some outdoor adventures. 

The last Friday of April, we joined my friend Trista and her kids, Jacob, Ella and Luke, and traveled up to the mountains to visit the Pisgah Center for Wildlife Education.  I was a little hesitant to bring Juliet, but thankfully Trista encouraged me to bring her and I'm so glad I did.  Not only did it prove to myself that I can take care of my three kids out and about but I loved cuddling her in my Snugli carrier all day. The older kids had a great day learning about God's world and what goes on in streams.  We first had a mini-lecture from one of the forest rangers.  She taught the kids about what could live in a stream and how everything affects the habitat there.  We ventured outside and walked a short distance to a rapidly flowing stream.  With Juliet in tow, I didn't want to brave crossing the river so Trista helped all five big kids get across.







Next up was a lecture about salamanders and other things which live among mountain underbrush.  We hiked a short way up a trail to a spot where the kids were told to carefully turn over rocks in hopes of finding creeping creatures. It was a beautiful day exploring God's creation and once again realizing how much we LOVE field trips!




Our second outting with Trista and her kids came a few weeks later. It began as a day with us heading toward another organized field trip but unfortunately when we arrived at the location, Trista and I were told the event was cancelled due to a chance of rain. We were told there was a pioneer town not too far away so we switched gears and created our own field trip! What we found was a grouping of 18th century building which had been brought together on a small piece of land for historical sake. Thankfully we pulled up as a member of the local historical society was just finishing a "tour" and so he was gracious enough to do the tour again.




After exploring "Pioneer Town", eating our bag lunches on a picnic table, and going potty pioneer-style (i.e. outside behind a rock wall!), it was only 12:30pm. Trista and I were not ready to call it a day so we decided to stop at Walnut Grove Plantation. It is an actual home from the Revolutionary War time period and holds great historical significance. The kids enjoyed running around the main house and small out buildings. Once again we were treated to a tour by a very informative guide. One huge benenfit that I love about homeschooling is that field trips are not several chaperones and a bunch of kids but instead a few moms and their own kids. Much more comfortable feeling and not so rigid due to safety requirements. Again another wonderful day with friends and such a fun, hands-on way to learn.

Juliet slept peacefully through the Walnut Grove tour.




Matthew and I asked our kids what they learned that evening. Philip answered, "The people had horns in their kitchens." (Bull horns used to carry gun powder, etc.) Braewyn answered, "No touching!"

1 comment:

*Jess* said...

You guys are having so much fun! And of course you can get out and about with 3 kids :) It just takes practice, right?