Friday, June 17, 2011

Busy June, Part 2

The first weekend of June was action-packed! It actually started on Thursday night with the kids' StarMakers dance and tumbling rehearsal. Philip did really well going through his routine with his class on the big stage of a local college's auditorium. Driving there, Braewyn was saying she wasn't doing the recital. Should have heeded this as actual advice. I played the encouraging mom card and told her all the reasons it was going to be so much fun. I did get her in her recital outfit but then ended up sitting back stage with her trying my best to help her gain confidence. So that was Thursday.

Friday morning was the last day of Preschool Science Camp (remember I held a baby snake? If not, see below.), but that evening was Philip's Kindergarten graduation! I received an email about two months ago from our homeschool activity group asking if anyone was interested in participating in a kindergarten graduation. I quickly emailed back "Yes!" as I remember (or maybe just remember seeing pictures of) my kindergarten graduation and wanted the same for Philip. Philip is a tough guy with a kind heart, but it turned out the graduating class would be him and five girls! He's ok with that as it was the same way in his tumbling class! Any way here are the photos to recap the evening.

Proud parents and the happy graduate.

Silly group shot before the processional. Yes, we had "Pomp and Circumstance" playing!

Looking very studious on stage.

I presented Philip with the Milky Way award (each parent chose a candy bar award that suited their child) for his love of science and because he pretended to be Luke Skywalker often during school.

During the student moment, Philip describes a drawing he made of two boats, one from the Revolutionary War period and the other from World War I.

A shot of a composite photo of the graduates Matthew helped me work into a DVD slide show for the graduation. Each parent sent me photos of their child from birth to current day. It was set to music and very emotional. These kids are only 6 and we're already tearing up about how old they're getting!

I presented Philip with his diploma.

The LINK Homeschool Graduating Class of 2011!

So next came Saturday morning and Braewyn surprised us by acting excited to get into her dance recital outfit. She let me do her hair and put a little blush and lipstick on. She makes a beautiful little ballerina.


However those are the last pictures we have of Braewyn in her outfit. Matthew had the camera in the audience when it was show time but here's how it went down. We kept Braewyn in the audience with us until 10 acts before her group was to go on. At that time, I walked her to the "Ready Room" (aka holding room) and met up with another mom and some of the girls from her class. A few minutes later, her class was called and we waited in the line that wrapped around the back of the stage. Just as her class was to be waiting backstage just behind the curtain, I told her it was time for me to go back around the back of the stage so I could be waiting behind her teacher, Miss Jordan, and all she needed to do was walk across the stage and stand beside me behind the curtain. At this point, if she did that I would be happy. I turned and ran for the hills. Matthew said he could hear her crying even before seeing her on stage! I should have told the women ushering the kids on stage to let her go first but instead they planted her on an "x" on the stage. She was bawling! I tried to motion to Jordan who was getting the girls in a straight line. A moment later, she heard Braewyn, walked to her, picked her up, and carried her to me behind the curtain. Braewyn settled down but wouldn't dance one step. I really don't blame her as I'm not a fan of being on stage myself. Chalk that one up to experience. However, we'll probably let her take ballet/tap again next year as she LOVES Jordan and must do very well in class. Jordan actually chose Braewyn as Star Student from the class for which she received a medal! Yeah, Braewyn! If she says no to the recital, fine by me. It saves us $100!

Philip's tumbling group performed about 45 minutes later. He did great and didn't appear nervous one bit even though later he told us he was a little. Philip even directed a few of the younger ones in his group to their spot on stage when they got mixed up. Such a big helper!

Here he is rolling backwards over a huge cylinder.

Skipping off the stage!

Matthew and I decided together that we would spare Braewyn any more agony and leave after Philip's routine was over. Braewyn's class actually still had their ballet piece but we were placing our money on her crying again. It was an easy decision to make as the truck was loaded up and we were BEACH BOUND! Yes, driving 4 1/2 hours to North Myrtle Beach made for the last portion of our busy June weekend. And beach pictures are up next on the blog. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

*Jess* said...

I hope you guys are enjoying your vacation!