Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Working and Reading... in my spare time

I'm always up for the challenge of learning something new.  Raising children was like that and so was homeschooling.  Now that both of those are going fairly smoothly (I say that with GREAT hesitancy as I would never want to say I've arrived in either realm but am continually growing through the grace of God), when the opportunity was laid before me to have a real money-paying job, I took it!  About a month ago I took the job of Office Manager for Postal Equipment, Inc. Matthew and I know the owner, Leroy, through the Gideon ministry and it was at one of our camp meeting where he first asked me if I would consider the job.

After meeting with Leroy and his wife Janice and hearing more about the business, it seemed like a perfect fit.  He had been running the company all on his own for the seven years since he began it.  It had prevented their family from taking a vacation without handling business while there the whole time and with their son's wedding coming up in July, he really wanted someone who could handle it when he didn't want to.  Also, there was also a need for someone to handle things "in the office" while Leroy could spend some time on the road traveling to visit current customers and meet new ones.  That's where I come in.

I've been employed by Postal Equipment, Inc. for a month and have come to learn a lot about the bulk mail industry.  I've also learned that it's going to take a while to find a happy balance between homemaker and working mom. Mostly, it's just me getting anxious about the what if's.  What if we have another baby, what if it's too much once school starts in August, what if the kids feel neglected, etc.  Most days the job only requires me to enter 2-3 orders (this takes 20 minutes per order and they are often spaced out through the day) and occasionally run some ink or tabs (the little circle stickers which close folded mail) to our UPS store (thankfully, I've had to run things to UPS on Wednesdays so it actually causes us to be EARLY for church supper which is a blessing for us!).  Leroy added the task of contacting customers about some new products but said I can do as much or as little each day as I want.  It's fun talking to people and have something I can call my own.  Matthew is excited for me to have this job and the kids enjoyed receiving the little mailboxes Leroy gave them filled with candy.

And to ensure my days run smoothly (as far as I am able to control), I begin each morning (when my will power is stronger than my desire to sleep) with Bible study.  Since my BSF class ended last week, I am now reading through a devotional book and Crazy Love by Francis Chan.  There is a study group going through this book on Sunday nights at church through the summer.  So far I'm still in chapter 1 but my eyes are opening (or rather being reminded) to God's amazing love and our needed response.

"We need to stop giving people excuses not to believe in God. You've probably heard the expression, 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." (Preface, page 21-22)

No comments: