Saturday, May 12, 2012

Did Braewyn Have A Birthday?

Not to let a month go by without a post, I'm posting pastdue about Braewyn's birthday that didn't go exactly as planned. My sweet middle child turned the big 5 on May 2. All year long, she knows that May 2nd is her birthday. During our calendar time of school, we were eagerly awaiting May 2nd all through April as it fit on the bottom of the calendar as April ended on a Monday. Her big day was approaching and so I habitually took her to Party City to pick out the celebration paraphenalia (she was going to have a few girlfriends over and have her first friend theme party). Well, we went it looking for Ariel stuff. Ariel wasn't a category by herself (she was part of Disney Princess stuff) so Braewyn decided on Barbie (she doesn't own any yet but has watched a few of the computer animated movies. Ok, we were set with plates, cups, party favors for 8, "pin the sunglasses on Barbie" game, and a giant wall poster so you can "stand" beside Barbie.

With May 2nd falling on a Wednesday, we weren't doing anything super special on her exact birthday (I did have her favorite foods for breakfast and lunch but the day ran as usual otherwise). That evening we were heading to church for our normal Wednesday routine only to have it derail. When we arrived at church, I came around the car to find Juliet in a puddle of diarrhea in her carseat! Yuck! Food to go that night and home we headed to Matthew who was already laying on the couch with fever and body aches.

Over the next 5 days, Matthew, Braewyn and Juliet had a diarrhea-inducing stomach bug. There goes the Barbie birthday party which was planned for Saturday. Braewyn's grandparents still came over Saturday afternoon to bring her presents, but we held on to the party stuff hoping to just postpone it a week.

Jump to today and the party (which may or may not happen tomorrow) has only one attendee planning on attending and she was diagnosed with strep on Thursday (even though she was in our house Wednesday afternoon!). All that said, my poor kid has asked several days this week in reference to her party, "When's my birthday?" In her 5-year-old mind, I think she thinks her birthday is tied to the day we actually have the party (5-year-olds don't really keep up with the date). Well, party or not, I love my girl and am so thankful the Lord chose me to be her mommy. Yes, she is the one who has strengthened my parenting skills the most (you get what I mean!), but she brings such joy to our family. I love the way she states things (i.e. I quoted a comment I had seen on something and she didn't know what it meant so Braewyn asks "Is that Spanish mode or English mode?" It's not a language difference but a mode difference like how toys have those two modes), her personal fashion style (she wears skirts to soccer practice and purposely mismatches socks), and her love for Philip, Juliet, and our dog Chloe. So hard to believe my girl has grown into the little lady she is! Here's the yearly recaps plus some great photos taken recently by my friend Jessie.

One month old...
One year old...
Two years old...
Three years old...
Four years old...
And our beautiful gift from Jesus now FIVE years old!!!



Braewyn, I know Jesus has big plans for you and I can't wait to see what they are!

2 comments:

*Jess* said...

my mom had that same virus! I am so sorry! Happy birthday braewyn!

Lori said...

Sweet Braewyn you are growing so fast! We love you.