Friday, November 17, 2006

One Year Older

This past Tuesday my birthday came and my birthday went. I'm now 31. It was the first year I really almost forgot it was my birthday (actually forgot off and on several times throughout the day!). I'll say it was due partly to being pregnant and partly to having plenty of other things on my mind. This is rare because I've always been excited about my birthday and Matthew laughs at me because I even say, "It's my birthday time," any day of the year when a digital clock reads 11:14.

I suppose my birthday wasn't that significant because overall at this stage in my life I feel more blessed than ever before. I have a wonderful husband. He bought me a new outfit at Motherhood on Saturday and then presented me with a card and "The Little Mermaid" on DVD the morning of my birthday. Matthew then brought roses home to me that evening which he let Philip carry to me (I put them in the vase later that night).




Speaking of which, God blessed us more than we could ever imagine with our son, Philip. I pray to never take him for granted and always see him as a gift from Jesus. This goes for our second baby too who is growing more each day. We are excited to find out if Philip will have a brother or a sister in January and then to welcome this child into the world in May.

God is also at work in the lives of our parents, siblings and extended family. For that I am thankful too.

Above all of this I am grateful for my salvation in Christ Jesus. This year in Bible Study, I am studying through the book of Romans. I am being clearly reminded of how unworthy I am and how amazing God's love for us is. We all begin as powerless, ungodly people (Romans 5:6) and yet Christ in His amazing grace stepped out of heaven to die for us "while we were yet sinners" (Rom. 5:8). It is my daily goal and daily struggle to live as the apostle Paul did when he said, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."" (Romans 1:16-17).

Matthew and I recently attended a Third Day concert. We had a great time, they had a really cool lighting system, and the name of Jesus was declared as we worshiped.



My favorite Third Day song is "Cry Out to Jesus". If you have not yet decided to make Christ Jesus the Lord of your life just read through this chorus and see what you are missing.

There is hope for the helpless, rest for the weary,
Love for the broken heart.
There is grace and forgiveness,
Mercy and healing,
He’ll meet you wherever you are.
Cry out to Jesus, cry out to Jesus.

Salvation is available to everyone, but you must individually choose to accept it (Romans 5:17).

1 comment:

Len and Carrie said...

Happy Birthday Kim!!! Having you as a friend is such a blessing!!!

Love,
~Carrie~