Sunday, February 17, 2008

Long Over Due

Last summer, Matthew and I rearranged our bedroom (well, my mom and I surprised Matthew with a rearranged bedroom!). It left space along one wall which Matthew thought would be a great place for a bookshelf. He has always wanted to become skilled in woodworking so I encouraged his idea of building the bookshelf himself. (Longtime blog readers might remember a post about the small bookshelf he made for Philip when I was pregnant with him! Here's a reminder picture of Matthew's first project.)



Anyway, after buying the lumber, working many nights and Saturdays in the garage (wait, it's coming back to me that I was hot and pregnant with Matthew while sitting in the garage watching him so it must have been last April!! Ok, WAY over due post!), attaching special molding, and staining the entire thing twice over, we finally moved the bookshelf into our bedroom. I really, really like it and am especially proud that Matthew made it with his own hands for our room. You go, baby! Here's a look back...


Matthew hard at work in the garage.


See I tell him that he'll still look good if he goes gray and here's proof!


This is the finished project! Very classy if you ask me.


Close-up of molding on top of bookshelf.


Close-up of molding on bottom of bookshelf.


This bulldog is special as Matthew's dad made it probably 20 years ago. He had given it to Matthew's cousin Lindsay who recently mailed it to us as she is clearing out her house which is up for sale. Lindsay thought it should be passed on to Philip so can be reminded of his Grandpa whom he will meet one day in Heaven.

3 comments:

*Jess* said...

wow, I am super impressed! Will he make me one next? :P

Lori said...

Fancy!!!! Way to go Matthew. We are very impressed. Also, you look pretty cool with all that dust in your hair and your Terminator shades! Not many people can pull off that look!

Casey Wallace said...

Looks great, Matthew! You're so talented!