Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Odds 'n' Ends

No More Fire! Last Monday, Sharlene and I decided it would be fun to take the kids to Shogun, a Hibatchi-style Japanese restaurant, for lunch. Philip and Hayden enjoyed the chef's display and Philip even tried to flip his fork around like the man had done with his spatula! Jordan probably ate the most; although Braewyn would have held her own had I let her at the food on my plate! It worked out nicely as we were seated at a table with a couple and their 4-year-old daughter who eat there "twice a week". After the "display" at our table (as I had built up the fact that we'd get to see fire!), Philip decided he didn't want to see any more fire and would get panicky when a chef arrived at any table around ours!






A Doorstep Visitor On Friday, I was in the livingroom with the kids. I looked up and noticed a girl standing at my front door. She was probably in her early 20's and casually dressed. I opened the door and said hello. The first words out of her mouth were, "What is John 3:16?" (My mom was over that day and she has a John 3:16 sticker on her back windshield.) I was completely caught off guard and so stumbled through the Bible verse which I have had memorized for years, "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life". She commented about it being a religious motto or something and I said that yes, it is a verse from the Bible. I then asked her if she knew who Jesus was. She said yes and that she was Catholic. I told her that Jesus died for her. We talked a few more minutes about Easter being on Sunday and then she began to talk about the program she was involved in (selling magazine subscriptions toward a goal in which to receive a laptop). I might never know if she thought more about our conversation or not, but it was a real eye-opening moment for me. I don't want to fumble over my words when talking about the greatest thing that has ever happened to me: knowing Christ personally and receiving forgiveness for my sins and a promise of eternal life in heaven with Him. It awestruck me even more because just the day before at BSF, we were talking about how stay-at-home moms don't have that many day-to-day chances of sharing the gospel, and low and behold if someone shows up the very next day and asks me point blank about it. It reminded me of another Bible verse which I have heard but had to look up to list here, "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect" (1 Peter 3:15). If you are reading this and have a question about Jesus, please just ask. I'll try to be better prepared this time.

Philip's Latest! I was flipping through the channels yesterday afternoon and stopped for a minute on one of the multitude of home-renovation shows. One of the designers said, "That white wicker screams beach cabin!" Philip, very nonchalantly with almost no expression says, "Why does white wicker scream?" I laughed!!!

Thank you, Fly Lady! After going the entire weekend without cleaning the kitchen (I know some of you are shreeking!), there was not one inch of visible counter space or sink. Nevertheless, I was not going to bed without finishing it. It was a daunting task which I thought would be 3+ hours! I get slower and slower washing dishes as I get more tired. Well, I remembered Fly Lady's crazy holiday cleaning plan which basically says clean for 45 minutes, do something you enjoy for 15 minutes, and repeat until done. This is what I did. In the kitchen for 45 minutes washing as fast as I could competently and knowing that the new box of hand-me-down clothes for Braewyn from Matthew's cousin Lindsay awaited me in the livingroom (thank you Lindsay and Cheryl SO MUCH!!). Next looking through the box for 15 minutes and back to the kitchen for 45 minutes!! I love my microwave timer! I was shocked to be finishing the last item just as the timer sounded. I cleaned the entire mess (yeah, I ain't too proud!) in 1 1/2 hours as opposed to my suspected 3+ hours. Now if I can only keep on top of that sink daily!!

Mommy Day Care... No I am NOT starting a home daycare, but I am a caring friend who enjoyed spending yesterday and today with two of my neighbors' sweet, sweet babies. Yesterday morning, Sharlene asked if I could watch Hayden (2 1/2 yrs.) and Jordan (14 months) for a short time as she had to take a test for work. I said the morning would work better as I would be putting Braewyn down for a nap shortly and the "workload" would be cut down to three kids. Thank the Lord, Braewyn did sleep through half the time the boys were over. However Hayden loves Braewyn and she was excited to see some new faces upon waking up. Today, I watched Frances' girls Lucy (2 yrs.) and Bella (14 months) while she went to a doctor's appointment. Again Braewyn was napping through most of the morning and Bella actually slept in our Pack n' Play for about half the time the girls were over. I do love each of these four precious little ones, but tomorrow morning will be fun just having some one-on-one time with Philip! After that Sharlene and Frances, I'd love to keep your babies again sometime. Each morning did make me grateful that I had not had twins at each of my pregnancies!

2 comments:

*Jess* said...

Oh, tell Frances I said hi! I hope she is well!

Anonymous said...

Kim, not sure if you'll check the comments on this post but I just wanted to say hey! I like the new look of your blog! Also, we went to Emily Hensley's wedding last weekend and I saw Mrs. Brooks and Braewyn. I didn't get to speak to Matthew and Philip but Tom did. I know he enjoyed seeing Matthew!