Friday, May 12, 2006

Philip's Newest Achievements

Philip had his 15-month check-up this morning. He weighs in at 22 lbs. 1 oz. and is 29.9" (let's just say 30") tall. His doctor said he was looking great and very smart. He panted like a dog for her! Here are Philip's newest skills:

Words he can say:
Mama
Dada
Nana (usually comes out "Da Nana")
Bird
Shoes
Please

"Signs" he can do:
More
All done
Able to nod "yes" and shake head "no" appropriately
(we need suggestions for others because that's all he learned from his cousin Hannah!)

Funny things:
Able to blow nose upon request
Learning to "kick" and "throw" balls (I use those terms loosely)

Animal sounds he knows:
Cow
Wolf
Monkey
Gorilla (growling and beating chest with fists!)
Dog (panting)

My mom was over when I first heard Philip say "please" (click here for the video). Matthew had asked him to say it the day before so I knew he had done it. I was so excited to hear his little voice (which is actually kind of deep for a toddler) begin to actually speak English and not just baby babble.

2 comments:

Len and Carrie said...

Isn't it amazing how they just "get it". It's like they have been thinking about it for months and it just comes out. He is so cute and we can't wait to meet little Matthew, I mena little Philip!! lol
The Bowers

Lori said...

OOOOhhhhh I wish I could see Philip in person! That video melted my heart. Some good signs for Philip to learn would be "thank you" and "hot." Hannah learned to say "please" and "thank you" almost as soon as she learned the sign, but she still signs (at times) when she says the words. Learning "hot" has proven very valuable, because it has helped to teach her the concept. She uses the words now (for hot and cold), but she can tell me when her bath water is too warm, she tells me the oven and stove top are hot when I am cooking etc. You can visit many signing sites on the internet, but I often learn from my friend who signs (because she is partially deaf) that I am sometimes doing a sign wrong that I learned online or from a book.