Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Weekend in recap...


After visiting Mom at the hospital on Friday morning, Philip and I headed around the corner to the health department for his belated 15 month shots (his 16-month "birthday" was Monday). Five yucky shots in one visit! Philip was a very brave boy and endured one shot in each arm, one in the right leg and two in the left leg. He was crying throughout the process, but I gave him his beloved paci and it settled him down. By the time we arrived home, this silly little boy was ready for a round of golf -- his favorite activity these days.


That evening, Philip and I accompanied Daddy to his work picnic. Philip enjoyed baked beans and fritos for dinner, danced a little with the band and went on a train ride with Matthew. He began getting fussy and a little warm around 8:00pm so we headed home.


Saturday Philip woke up very hot (102.4 F), but we had a busy day ahead of us so I hoped Tylenol would do the trick. I was pleased and honored to help put together a bridal shower for Matthew's cousin Mollie and her fiance. Matthew, Philip and I ran around town Saturday morning getting last minute details together before enjoying the shower. Philip was super clingy to Daddy for the first half of the shower as he felt pretty crummy. I guess the excitement along with some punch perked him up and he and Grandma went outside to run around (Philip doing the running, Ruth Ann keeping him away from the street). That evening, Philip stayed at Grandma's house while Matthew and I attended a graduation party for one of the guys Matthew has taught in Sunday School in 9th and 10th grade. Upon returning to Ruth Ann's house, we found Philip full of energy. He grabbed a pole by her front door and began full-on preaching (loud, boisterous voice and hand raised in the air) to an invisible congregation outside the glass storm door! It was hilarious. I'll try to get a snip of the video posted soon.

Sunday morning came and we still had a feverish boy. Luckily, Philip could rest longer at home today as we headed to Inman Mills Baptist Church to celebrate the 50th year of ministry of Rev. Jack Hames (long-time pastor of Boiling Springs First Baptist, close family friend to the Brooks' and the man who officiated our wedding). Philip cried as we left him in the unfamiliar nursery, but we were told he was fine after we left. The service was touching and the outside luncheon was enjoyable. Philip however was very sleepy and still warm so he ate just a bite before he and Grandma headed to the playground to try and pass the time.

Next stop, my parents' house to spent time with Mom now that she's home from the hospital and my grandparents. Philip went to bed around 1:45pm while Matthew, Grandma Diemer, and I played some croquet outside. Around 5:00pm, I checked on Philip as I didn't want him to be awake all night. He was roasting (it was a little stuffy in their house) and his temp was up to 104.5 F!! Those darn shots. I put him in a lukewarm bath and followed it up with a banana popsicle. For the next 45 minutes, Philip's wardrobe consisted of diaper and bib! Once the Tylenol kicked, he was back to his normal self.


Monday morning the fever was 101.3F, but faded away as the day went on. What a weekend!

4 comments:

Len and Carrie said...

Poor Philip! I am so glad that he is feeling better!! Your mom looks wonderful, I am so happy that she is home now!

~C~

Casey Wallace said...

What a fun weekend (besides the fever)! Can't wait to see the video of Philip preaching. :)

Lori said...

I'm glad to see your mom up and about. Hope Philip is feeling better. Give him hugs and kisses from aunt Lori. I wish we could have been there for Mollie's shower. I'm sure they had a great time and got lots of nice things for their new home.

Anonymous said...

Sure hope Philip is feeling better now. I remember those darn shots, and with "twins", it was double the torture on poor MOM! I hated to see them go through it and then the aftermath wasn't fun either. Anyway, hope he is doing better. I'm sure your mom is loving the fact that she is home and recovering in her own bed and house. Patti is lucky to have such a loving daughter and family. You are all lucky to have her. I'm so happy that she is on the path to recovery! With You in Mind, Valerie