Thursday, April 03, 2008

Heartbreaking...

A friend asked me pray for her very good friend who is going through a tradegy. I don't know her friend personally so I'll call her "Susan" since I didn't ask if I could share this need. Susan and her husband have been trying to have a child for 4 1/2 years. They have no children although she has had four miscarriages. Susan was finally pregnant and doing well. At her 37- week check-up, the baby girl was great. Sometime during week 38, the baby strangled in the umbilical cord and died. Susan had to deliver her unborn, full-term baby. I'm sure the nursery was all ready by this time. My friend did say Susan's uterus was shaped like a heart (a partial wall in the middle) and the baby may have been caught on one side and unable to swim away from the cord. I cannot imagine the heartache involved here and wonder why God would allow this degree of tradegy to take place. There's really nothing we can do other than pray for the Lord to comfort Susan and her husband like no other can. What makes it even harder, is that Susan's sister had a baby last month and they live in the same neighborhood. If there was anything which might tempt me to turn my back on God, a situation like that might make me do it. However, another friend there while I was hearing about Susan's story reminded us that our children are not really ours, but just gifts from God whom we are blessed to raise. I thank God daily for Philip and Braewyn and try to keep that same mentality. If they both left me today, I would be grateful for the time I had them and everything they have taught me. But Lord, please bless them as I don't know what I'd do without them.

1 comment:

*Jess* said...

How incredibly heartbreaking for this woman. I cannot imagine what she is going through!