Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Arts & Crafts

I wouldn't consider myself a very crafty person. I did enjoy scrapbooking before the days of blogging and Facebook. I'd really rather paint a room in my house before trying my hand at oilpainting. All that said, kids like arts and crafts and so I did want to incorporate that into our school year. The best part of helping Philip and Braewyn do crafts is seeing their personalities displayed through their artwork. It's amazing how two kids raised by the same parents in the same circumstances can be so different. Yes there is an age difference to consider but yet there is a difference in color preference and the ways things should be. First here are their scarecrows we made a few weeks ago. They each colored the pieces of the scarecrows themselves, Philip cut his pieces out, I cut Braewyn's, and then they each glued them on construction paper. Very cute finished projects and each unique. Philip likes things to look the way they should. Braewyn goes for eclectic and bold.



Walking through the children's hall of our church, I often get ideas from the preschool art on the walls. I really liked the idea of handprint fall trees so we gave it a try. Philip thought it was a dumb idea but I told him he wouldn't be saying that to an art teacher at public school. Braewyn tried to jump on Philip's bandwagon and whine about it too but then jumped into her work and went overboard. Not sure but I think her painting depicts burning fall leaves on the sides!



After Philip finished his handprint tree, he said, "Now I want to paint a picture from the book." What he was referring to is our Usborne Book of Famous Paintings. Once before I let him look through it, pick a painting and recreate it himself. This time he picked "Sunflowers" by Vincent Van Gogh. Braewyn is still in the modern art stage but thoroughly enjoys the experience. Here are my little artists at work.



Here is Van Gogh's work, Philip's underneath and finally Braewyn's pop art. Not bad for an unexperienced 5-year-old! He said three flowers were enough for his painting.



2 comments:

*Jess* said...

wow, I am so impressed! Your two definitely show some artistic talent at those young ages!

Lori said...

We did the fall hadprint/thumbprint trees. Cute!