Friday, November 19, 2010

My Birthday by the Hour

I want to thank my friend Jessie (Thank you, Jessie!) for recently posting an hour by hour recap of her day. My 35th birthday (yes, when I think about it, I'm feeling a bit old probably due to my age now declaring me a "high risk" pregnancy with my OB office!) was this past Sunday and so I thought it a great day to recap with a photo every hour. Here we go...


Up at 7:00am when I heard Chloe barking, i.e. "I need to go outside and potty!"


8:00am and Matthew surprised me with chocolate chip muffins for breakfast. FYI, don't insert wax candles into muffins just out of the oven. He had to carve the molten candles out of the muffins!


It's 9:00am and I'm still putting on my make-up for church. I'm supposed to be READY by now so I can get the kids finished up. Thanks, Matthew, for always pulling everything together when I'm running late!


At 10:00am, I'm in Sunday School with my wonderful Senior High girls. I am blessed to have been teaching teenage girls for the last 10 years. Teenagers experience so much more these days than when I was their age. My prayer is that I might make some sort of small impact on them so when they are in college a few years from now, they'll make better choices than I did.


11:00am (or a few minutes before) finds me in our church choir's practice room, warming up and praying before going into the sanctuary. The choir is a family to me as it's my weekly dose of adult interaction. Our church is blessed to be led musically by Pastor Butch.


Our church service is almost over at 12:00pm and I must say we are equally blessed by the Lord to have such a godly man as our senior paster. Yes, I get to hang out with Hank Williams every Sunday (that's really his name!).


1:00pm and we're eating lunch at La Paz, a Mexican restaurant in town. Ruth Ann treated us for my birthday to which I told her the phrase which normally applies to men is true for me these days, "The path to a man's (or my) heart is through his (my) stomach!"


We arrived home at 2:00pm and the truck became a playground to our energetic kids.


At 3:00pm, our family enjoyed birthday cake with my parents who stopped by for a short visit. Matthew, Philip and Braewyn made the delicious cake Saturday night. While I sat on the sidelines watching it all, I had to tell him at one moment, "When you bake with kids, you need to assume the worst might happen."


4:00pm came and I tried my best to squeeze a nap in. I had left Braewyn to play in her room with the command to let me sleep for 30 minutes. About 6 minutes after this picture was taken, I was woken up and not a happy Mommy! That's what unconditional love is all about, right?


At 5:00pm, when we would be leaving in 10 minutes for evening church, here is what I found in Braewyn's room. Thankfully, she did fall asleep but only after playing really hard in her room.


At 6:00pm, you'll find me on Sunday nights helping with Braewyn's Awana Cubbies class. It's a Bible verse memory club for 3- and 4-year-olds. Braewyn's face is under the arm of the girl in the pink shirt with her arm raised.


Cubbies is over at 7:00pm and it's time to clean up our room.


Dinner comes at 8:00pm on Sunday nights after we get home. Yeah, Mexican leftovers! Thanks, Ruth Ann, for two meals.


Bedtime at our house is 9:00pm (one of the perks of homeschooling is that the kids sleep until 7:00am or at least that's the goal). Even though I'm usually exhausted and ready to lay down myself, it's a sweet, sweet time of family devotions as we teach our children about our God.

A long day, but such blessings all along the way!

1 comment:

*Jess* said...

A very long and busy birthday, but such a blessed one! I loved hearing about your day! You'll have to participate on the 10 on 10 challenge in December so we can see what a homeschooling day looks like!