Tuesday, November 15, 2005

A Good Day

Monday was my 30th birthday! Last week I wasn't looking forward to it and was fine with just letting it pass on by. However when Monday came, I actually felt really good. Empowered to put it one way. Being in your 20's some people still see you as still growing up. Being 30 sounds like a bonafide ADULT!! No one can question my reasonings but yet I'm held more responsible too. Saturday, my brother, sister-in-law, aunt and uncle came to town to visit with Mom and Dad. Matthew and I stopped by for a while and then left Philip with them. We had dinner at Red Lobster for my birthday. Being 30 and feeling "in charge", I took it upon myself to make my own birthday cake. I'll leave the professionalism to my other sister-in-law Lori, but this cake held special meaning for Mom and me nonetheless!
Anyway, back to Monday... That afternoon, Mom and Dad picked up me and Philip for Mom's LAST radiation treatment. It was a mixture of emotions as going to the Cancer Center had become part of our daily routine and we've met so many nice people there. However, Mom's body definitely needs the rest that not having radiation will bring.



Plaque beside the bell


There is a bell which hangs in the hallway just outside the radiation area. Each patient rings the bell after her last treatment. The nurses celebrate in the moment with the patient. It's hard knowing our friends, Cecil and Sam, who were watching still have several treatments to go themselves.



Philip says goodbye to his buddy, Michael


Mom's surgery will hopefully be December 28. That gives her 6 weeks to avoid doctors, needles, hospital gowns, etc. and enjoy Thanksgiving, Christmas, and cuddling with her favorite boy, Philip. Thank you Lord!

2 comments:

Lori said...

Such good news!!! Congrats on becoming a "bonafide" adult! Haha. You are so funny!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kim! Now, you are officially grown up. ( smiling here) That is just awesome news about mom and bless her heart, she looks so beautiful. You all looked marvelous in the family photo together. I could see the joy in your hearts with the good news and Philip is such "happy therapy" for your mom! Thanks for the wonderful updates and we all thank our Jesus for the work he has done to get her through her ordeal. We'll all keep watching and continue to pray for further great news.