Monday, August 07, 2006

Does Anybody Really Do That?

Before I tell you the question, let me give you the answer: yes, me! Now the question: Does anybody really let the tub fill to the point of overflowing and flooding the bathroom?

I had started the water to take a bath (I rarely take baths but I had just cleaned the shower), and thought I had time to throw our mattress cover in the washer. I did have time for that, but stupidly let my internet-addiction sidetrack me. I just wanted to check a few things. Yeah right, I'm at the point of needing counseling. Well, my undiagnosed ADD let me totally forget about the tub. After about 15 minutes I remembered the tub, but also thought I remembered turning off the water. After another 15 minutes, I thought I better take that bath because surely the water was barely lukewarm by now.

If you've never overflowed your tub (I'm sure I'm in the minority here), let me give you directions on how to proceed lest the situation ever arise.

Step 1: Enter the bathroom and scream, "I can't believe I did this!"

Step 2: Ask yourself, "What do I do?"

Step 3: Regain composure, turn off the water, and let out the drain.

Step 4: Run for the mop and bucket.

Step 5: Begin mopping but realize that would take two days to get all the water out.

Step 6: Think, "I wish my bathroom had a drain like fast food bathrooms."

Step 7: Run through the house gathering all towels; don't forget the beach towels!!

Step 8: Remove everything from bathroom and place towels all over the floor.

Step 9: Begin jumping all over towels.

Step 10: Carry heavy dripping towels to the other bathroom and throw in that tub.

Step 11: Place towels on carpet outside of bathroom and jump as in Step 9.

Step 12: Pray that floor under carpet won't be permanently damaged and husband won't be too mad.

Step 13: Realize you still have to take a shower (no time for a bath now) and be glad that overflow rinsed any remaining SoftScrub out of tub.

Step 14: Thank the Lord that your 18-month-old son slept through the whole event.

Step 15: Consider banning yourself from the internet for a week, but then realize you couldn't give your family and friends a good laugh by posting it on your blog.

3 comments:

*Jess* said...

Oh, Kim! I know it was not funny at the time, but you tell the story so well! I might not have overflowed a tub, but I sure have burned a meal or two because I was online!

Casey Wallace said...

Oh no! I'm sorry that happened. I've never overflowed the tub (I can't remember the last time I took a bath), but I have been late to too many things because of getting entranced by the internet. I'm glad you shared the story - too funny!

Lori said...

Kim that is so funny. I love your 15 step list to deal with an overflowing tub. Hope everything is dry!