Thursday, August 31, 2006

Philip's Triple Whammy of a Week!

This has been a pretty rough week for little Philip. Monday when Matthew was home for lunch (thank the Lord he was), Philip was walking through the diningroom, carrying all his favorite stuffed animals. Somehow he lost his balance and fell into the leg of one the chairs. Matthew was picking him up when I came back into the room and at the same time, we saw a huge bump protruding from Philip's forehead. I never knew your forehead could swell that bad. After 5 minutes of crying on Daddy's shoulder, Philip was ready to get up and run around again. I did call his doctor and proceeded with another head trauma regiment (sleep in his room, wake him every four hours). The bump went down by that night, but now he has a really yucky yellow smudge on his forehead.

Wednesday, Philip woke up cranky but I thought it was from not sleeping well (we kept each other awake by tossing and turning, him in the crib and me in the twin bed in his room). He also had a runny nose, but we were excited to watch his friend Emma while her mommy Jo Ellen had a check-up (she's having another girl within the next few weeks!). Philip and Emma played pretty well together. It made me envision my house if I had been blessed with twins (right, Carrie?). Unfortunately, Emma only stayed for an hour but that was probably a blessing in disguise. After Emma left, I took Philip's temperature and it was 100.4. High enough for me to give him Tylenol and put him to bed. The boy slept from noon until 4:30pm!

He seemed better upon waking but by 6:45pm, he was asleep on the couch with Matthew. By 8:00pm, his fever had shot up to 103.3 so we put him in a cool bath, gave him Motrin and then to bed at 9:00pm. The night was long as he woke up crying at 11:30pm. I gave him Tylenol, we watched an episode of Boz (Philip is crazy about Boz!), read 6 books and settled back in to bed at 12:30am.

Thursday morning I went ahead and called his doctor because I thought he might have an ear infection. The actual diagnosis... a virus in the family of Hand and Mouth Disease. Sounds scary but Dr. John said it's common among children and shouldn't last too long. Ulcers in the mouth, fever, headache and a body rash. Yuck!!

Well there's two whammies so far (head bump and virus). His third was an awful looking diaper rash that wouldn't go away all week. I thought it was from changing ointments, but Dr. John diagnosed that too... a yeast infection! He told me to buy some anti-fungal medicine and it would go away within 5 days. My baby boy is not even two years old and he gets jock itch!! How sad! I've now had many friends say their kids have had this too which makes me feel better. Guess playing in the hot sun in a wet diaper will do that to a boy! I pray we'll get through this one and not face it again for a long while.

Philip is a tough little man! I love him more each day!

No comments: