Friday, July 27, 2007

On The Road Again

The following takes place between Monday, July 16 and Thursday, July 19. (If you watch "24", you read the previous sentence hearing the voice of Jack Bauer.)

On Monday, Mom told me that my Grandma Allen and Aunt Maureen would begin driving up from Florida to New York on Wednesday to see the rest of their family. Since I missed my grandpa's funeral in December, my heart immediately told me that I would somehow meet up with them as they would be passing through within a 2-3 hours drive from where we live. I called Maureen on Tuesday to find out the route she would be driving. When she said they would be stopping in Florence on Wednesday, I told her, "I'll bring the kids and meet you there for dinner." She was concerned about me driving alone with two small kids. I told her that I didn't mind but maybe Mom could come with me. Either way, I was coming. Yes, I'm working on getting the sin of pride out of my life thinking I can handle anything that comes my way all on my own. Well, thankfully Mom after thinking it over agreed to come with me. Most likely out of fear that I was serious about going alone if she said no. (Mom, I'm so glad you came so I didn't have to follow through and "prove" my stubbornness.)

Wednesday afternoon, Mom, Philip, Braewyn and I got on the road for our 3 hour drive. Mom was very apprehensive as to whether she would need me to find her a bathroom along the way and if so how long she would be there. She was also concerned about how the kids would handle the drive. Praise God, she didn't have any bathroom emergencies and the kids were great. Both Philip and Braewyn slept the first two hours. We then stopped at Wendy's at which Mom, me and Philip went potty! It did make it so much easier having Mom with us as she stayed in the car with Braewyn while I took Philip inside.

We arrived at the hotel and were very excited for Maureen to meet both kids and Grandma to see big boy Philip (she saw him once at 6 months old) and meet Braewyn. We had dinner at Ruby Tuesday just across the parking lot from our hotel. No driving! Philip is getting quite the rebellious toddler which makes being in nice restaurants a mistake sometimes. After finishing our meal, we all visited in our hotel room as Maureen's two dogs were in their room next door. Maureen is a hobby photographer and took many great shots of the kids. Once they get back to Florida, I'll be asking her to email some so I can add them to the blog. Our time together seemed so quick (3 hours to get there and 3 hours together), but it was so worth the trip. Aside from our salvation in Christ, family is the next most important thing. Grandma and Maureen would be heading off on the next leg of their trip at 5:00am so we said our goodbyes Wednesday evening.

Mom was a big help in the hotel room after they left as she bathed Philip while I fed and then bathed Braewyn. I settled Braewyn in the pack-n-play right beside my bed. We had brought Philip's toddler airmattress because I feared he might fall off the hotel bed. After seeing how the pack-n-play made a good side rail, I asked Philip if he wanted to sleep in the big bed. He said, "Yes, Mommy. You and me can sleep together!" You would just have to hear how he says 'together' to know how cute that sounded.

I fed Braewyn around 2:30am, got kicked off and on through the night by Philip and then woke up for the day around 6:50am. Braewyn was hungry again and Philip needed to go potty. The carrots were still on his sleeping pants (i.e. he was dry)! Mom had called a girlfriend whom she's not seen in 10+ years who lived in Florence during our drive there. Mary Blanche called back and it was set for her to come visit with Mom at the hotel around 9:30am. I walked to the lobby to get a light breakfast for us while getting ready in anticipation of Mary Blanche's visit. We had talked about going out to breakfast once she arrived. The way it worked out, Mary Blanche arrived at 9:45am, she and Mom talked in the lobby until 10:55am, I was busy packing and cleaning the room (check-out time was 11:00am), thought I lost my keys and turned the place upside down, Mom and Mary Blanche joined in the key search, and then at 11:20am I found them... in the pocket of my diaper bag where I always keep them!

We then headed back to Ruby Tuesday for another semi-successful meal until Braewyn got hungry and Philip got rowdy and wanted to leave. We said goodbye to Mary Blanche, I nursed Braewyn in the hotel lobby, Mom used the bathroom, and Philip played. Our drive home was just as successful, thank you Jesus! We made the same half-way stop and I again took Philip in to use the bathroom. This time, he had just woken up and in the bathroom stall refused to try (he was in sleeping pants so I wasn't that worried about it). The kid has successfully graduated from potty training school: after not going when we stopped, he then tells me he has to go potty just as we're about to turn onto my parents' street, he runs inside and we discover the carrots are still there. Didn't wet his pull-up on a 3 hour car trip while sleeping half the way! I can't even do that, not that I wear pull-ups of course!

It was a really good two days and was confidence building for both Mom and me. Now I hand it to Lori even more for joining us singlehandedly at the beach for 4 days.



Grandma meeting Braewyn.



Maureen and Philip watch the train go by.


The stairs to the second floor were right outside our door. Philip had serious cabin-fever and wanted to go upstairs. We had our first "stranger" talk after he ran away from us on the second floor.



Here is Maureen walking the dogs before bed.



Here are my two angels sleeping. Braewyn was still on Gentian Violet as you can see.




She looks so sweet. It reminds me of when Matthew and I went to Boston when Philip was 4 months old and I gave him a bath in that hotel sink!



This is Philip in our Boston hotel. Do you think they look alike?



Philip enjoying breakfast in the room.



This is Mom, Braewyn and Mary Blanche. It was nice seeing her again and I know she and Mom really enjoyed their visit.

No comments: