Thursday, October 09, 2008

Life Chain 2008

This past Sunday, Mom and I participated for the second year in Spartanburg's Life Chain. This is a national event held the first Sunday in October each year. People across the country line designated streets in their cities to participate in a silent petition against abortion. My mom has been involved in Pro-Life events for as long as I can remember. I have always thought abortion to be wrong as well, but since having my two children and going through the process of being pregnant, I am becoming more convinced that I should do my part in helping others understand why it is wrong too.
Those in favor of abortion simply focus on the emotional and/or financial status of the mother. They are entirely forgetting that abortion involves TWO people: the mother and the unborn baby. If you do not recognize the baby as a separate human being, help me to understand why this country will convict a person on TWO counts of murder for killing a pregnant woman. When a woman is just ten weeks along, the unborn baby is completely formed. Mom heard a nurse speak on the radio about this who once worked in an abortion clinic. She said after the abortion was performed, she had to examine the tray to make sure there were two arms, two legs, a body and a head. That sounds like a person to me. Please forgive me if this is too graphic, but the truth must be known.


I would be thrilled to see the Roe vs. Wade Supreme Court ruling be overturned during my lifetime. This law made abortion legal in 1973. That was two years before I was born. Mom could have killed me if she wanted to. At one time, I thought abortion is too main stream a concept to ever be illegalized. That was until I saw the movie, "Amazing Grace." It is the true story of William Wilberforce who lived in England from 1759 - 1833. He served in the British Parliament and fought for 20 years to have the slave trade outlawed in England. He died just three days after slavery as a whole was outlawed in his country.

Abortion has been legal for only 35 years in this country. Slavery had been in England for many more years than that. If people can come to understand slavery as being wrong when it was a huge financial asset, I pray people would come to understand the barbaric nature of abortion and outlaw it also.

1 comment:

Katie Turner said...

Amen! What a great tradition of the life chain.

I too have realized a new zeal against abortion after the Acosta Triplets were born. After being told that they were having 3, the doctor was required to tell them "their options" since this would prove to be a very dangerous pregnancy for both Lyn and for the 3 that she carried. Seeing 3 beautiful and healthy children all with distinctive personalities, I can't imagine them not being here -- or any of them not being here by "reduction". Yes, abortion is wrong -- who are we to "choose" life or death?? Thank you for your post!