Thursday, July 16, 2009

What God Taught Me This Week

I've always known that God hears my prayers, but now I know if you pray specifically, He'll answer specifically.

So our house is still for sale. As of this last Saturday, we hadn't had anyone look at it since early June. I had let myself again get to a very frustrated point (as you could probably tell from my last post). Saturday morning I woke up in a bad mood and frankly wanted to stay in that bad mood. Obviously Matthew could tell and suggested we go for a walk over to Milliken where the kids could run free and look for ducks at the pond. We began straightening up the house just in case someone called to see it while we were out.

"I am so sick of cleaning this house for no one to see it!" I said as we headed out.

Matthew kindly said, "Would it be that bad to clean it for us?" There was really no sarcasm behind his statement and it hit my heart in a way that I knew he was right. Keeping up with the housework has never really been on my list of favorite things so the house was usually cluttered and unkept. Somehow hearing Matthew say what he did and spending the next few hours enjoying God's beautiful creation changed my heart and refreshed my spirit.

We came home and after lunch, I swept and mopped all the floors, and cleaned the kitchen. Also that evening I read my Sunday School lesson which I would teach the teenage girls the next morning. God worked on me again as the lesson was titled, "Why Does God Sometimes Say No?" This is in reference to our prayers. The lesson goes on to give three answers: God wants to grow and strengthen you, God will always glorify Himself, and God has a greater purpose. He was clearly getting my attention as this process of selling our house has done all three. Of course I wanted it to sell the first week on the market but if it had I would not have developed the housekeeping habits I now have, I would not be able to rest in His comfort knowing He knows when and who will buy our house, and I am getting more daily excited to see where God is leading us after the house does sell.

That being said, I prayed Saturday night for God to please bring someone to see the house even if they didnt' buy it. We had just gone so long with no activity that I wanted a little confirmation that our house was still in play.

Well, Sunday afternoon found us laying around enjoying God's day and the phone rings at 4:20pm. Someone is looking at our neighbor's house and wanted to come see ours... right then! We scurried around, pulled a sleeping Braewyn from her crib and drove out of our neighborhood. About 45 minutes later (we just drove around, deposited some money at the bank, etc.), the showing agency called to say the agent was done showing our house but that she and the potential buyers LOVED it and were headed to the bank the next morning! We were thrilled! Monday came and then Tuesday and Wednesday. Today I emailed my realtor Rappy to see if he had heard an update and here's what he said, "The buyer does not qualify!" From the level of interest shown, I'm really feeling sad for them because our house just might have been their dream home.

And that brings me back to the beginning. Yes, I prayed for someone to see our house but not buy it and that's exactly what God let happen. I am not mad but just reminded at how sovereign a God He is. I thank Him for this new lesson in growing my faith, but am revising my prayer.

"Lord, please bring the family You have in store to buy our house and in the meantime, please grant me patience." Yes, I know people say don't pay for patience, but I'm at the point of driving myself crazy if I don't.

Lastly, here is the promised batch of before and after pictures to remind myself primarily of how far our house has come and really what a great house we are living in for this season of our lives.

This was usually how you would find my kitchen...

but now most days it is clean when I go to bed.

Our livingroom was cozy but just full of toys...

and now it's just a livingroom instead of a toy room too.

We also went from having a catch-all office / exercise room / playroom and...

an overcrowded bedroom which Philip and Braewyn shared to...

Philip's own big-boy bedroom with a fresh coat of paint and room for toys...

and a sweet baby nursery for Braewyn that is open and spacious.

Our master bedroom was never a peaceful retreat which master bedrooms should be...

but now it is!! Even when one of the children come running through.

We also had the house and driveway pressure-washed. I had NO IDEA how clean a driveway can look after pressure-washing. Wow!

And I also stained the back porch to complete the project. We've had a busy six months, but I believe that all the hard work up front and day-to-day upkeep now, will pay off in God's timing.

4 comments:

Jo Ellen said...

Those before and afters are amazing! Great job!

Woody said...

Wow! How did you get it like that! I want the after pictures in my house myself!! Great!!

Casey Wallace said...

The house looks great, Kim. I just sent up a prayer for more interested buyers for your home. Hope things get moving soon!

*Jess* said...

WOW! The before/after pictures are amazing! Great job, Kim!

And Brian feels the same way. I only clean my house when company comes. Brian cleans for us. Huge difference!