Monday, February 21, 2011

How We're All Doing

Matthew -- Daddy is loving his new little girl. Although he had wanted another boy, I've told him how much I love seeing Braewyn hug his neck and how I can't wait to see Juliet do the same thing. He is taking Monday thru Wednesday off work to spend time together. Matthew and Philip assembled Juliet's new crib in Braewyn's room (now the girls' room!) yesterday morning and it looks great. Not the most of exotic locations to take a week's vacation (hospital and home), but Matthew enjoys days out of work to spend with us any time a good reason comes around. I'd say adding a family member is a good reason!

Kim -- I'm doing pretty well. I greatly enjoy those days in the hospital after giving birth as nothing beats breakfast, lunch and dinner brought to me in bed on a tray! Juliet is such a sweet, peaceful baby that the transition to newborn land has actually been very easy. It really has all come back to me fairly quickly. The breastfeeding is still slightly challenging as I'm either working hard at waking Juliet up from her almost constant semi-coma or I'm working at getting her to latch on as she arches her back away from me and suckles on her hands which are always in the way. We're getting there and at least she's not screaming in hunger as Philip did the first few days.

Philip -- I really haven't worried about how Philip would react and he's proven me right. He's in love with his baby sister and does pretty well at being gentle with her. That being said his favorite part of this week is having Daddy home. He is becoming quite the little man and thrives on time with Matthew. The only time he has shown to be upset was when I was feeding Juliet and Matthew was getting Braewyn settled down for a nap. Philip said, "Daddy just got home from the hospital and he can't even play with me now." I told him that it was ok to be mad (something I picked up when I took Braewyn to Sibling Class), but that now there were three kids and two parents so sometimes he would have to wait his turn. All in all, he's doing great.

Braewyn -- It seems Braewyn took the adjustment the hardest due to her disruppted schedule and getting hit with a stomach bug this weekend. When my parents brought her and Philip to the hospital on Friday, Braewyn acted shy toward all of us. After a while she warmed up and was all smiles holding her new little sister. Unfortunately she threw up at my parents' house Saturday morning so we didn't see her again until Sunday evening when they brought her back to our house after we had returned home. She had thrown up again Sunday morning and had had diarrhea three times that day. Her poor bottom was burning she would say and just wanted us to hold her. Being sick, we had to be extra cautious around her with touching Juliet and telling her often to use hand santizer. A couple of times, my sweet middle child would whisper under her breath, "Nobody loves me." It broke my heart to think that she saw herself as lost among the way things now were. After she started feeling better physically last night, I can see her emotionally getting stronger too. I have let her hold Juliet when she asks and she beams, saying "I love my little sister!" Braewyn gives the baby back after 30 seconds.

Juliet -- This new little one is coming out of her shell a little more every day. The post-birth coma is wearing off and the personality God created her with is becoming more evident. As I said before, she fights settling in to nurse but then is quite content once latching on. Last night we began that rough time of "how many times will Mommy have to put my pacifier back in my mouth". I wasn't sure if she would take a paci at first as she was so sleepy in the hospital and didn't even open her mouth. Then she seemed to be restless after nursing and would settle down once getting the paci. Last night I nursed her at midnight, and proceeded to get up every few minutes for the next hour popping that paci back in after she had popped it out. The joy of not knowing how to use your own hands! That said, we are all in love with our little Juliet.

1 comment:

*Jess* said...

I'm so glad things are going well! Drop me an email if you need a meal!