Saturday, February 12, 2011

Yesterday's OB Appt.

Well I'm now going to see my OB practice every Friday until the baby arrives. After yesterday's appointment, I'm thinking of not making any more appointments and telling them I'll just call when we're headed to the hospital.

Ok, so I'm now 35 years old and was told that this age demands more thorough monitoring of the pregnancy. Three weeks ago, I went in knowing that I would have a non-stress test during which the baby's heartbeat and movements are monitored for 25 minutes. I told the nurse I had been having a few contractions each day and so I was interested to see if the monitor would pick up a contraction. It showed one (I could have told them that!), and since the baby didn't move that much, an ultrasound was suggested also. The ultrasound showed the baby is fine (good fluid levels around baby, good fine and large motor skills, good breathing repetitions, etc.). When I met with the doctor, she said since I wasn't having any blood sugar, protein level, blood pressure problems, there was no need for more non-stress tests. That sounded good to me!

Fast forward to last week... I arrived at my appointment and was told I would be monitored for 25 minutes again. This time I suppose the baby moved enough so they didn't need an ultrasound. I was examined to see if I've started dilating (nothing to report) and swabbed to check for Group B Strep. Ok, not that bad an appointment.

Now for yesterday... Matthew met the kids and I at the OB office. We bring them when we think it will be a short appointment so they can hear the baby's heartbeat. We followed the nurse back and she say's, "We're going to start with putting you on the monitor." Argh!! What is the purpose of this? I sat in the chair and let the nurse strap the monitors onto my belly. She couldn't get the heartbeat to register very loudly so she moved the monitor around for several minutes. I wasn't worried as the baby was actually pushing the monitor off from wherever the nurse placed it. A moving, wiggling baby obviously has a strong heart beat even if the monitor is not registering it. After trying this for 10 minutes, the nurse said, "Let's just check on the ultrasound. You can wait out in this area until the tech is ready for you." Another ultrasound? These are not free! Ok, back in the ultrasound room and everything is fine. I asked if she could measure the baby for a weight estimate since we were there. After computing everything, she said the baby weighed in at 6 lbs, 5 oz. I bit smaller than I had assumed by this point but still healthy and strong. We then traveled to an exam room where my doctor said I did test positive for Group B Strep. All that means is antibiotics before delivery and two nights in the hospital instead of one! Yeah, room service for 48 hours! Maybe I'm crazy but I really like the hospital food.

The kicker to yesterday's appointment was upon check-out. I went ahead and made an appointment for next Friday, but then the receptionist asked if I was going to be paying any toward my Global fee. My OB office handles the fee of pregnancy and delivery with a Global fee program: no co-pays during pregnancy but instead a lump sum which can be paid in increments during the pregnancy to offset the doctors' office visits and delivery fees for the OB staff. Matthew and I had paid the Global fee in full a few months ago. So why is she asking if I want to pay more toward Global? I was told that the ultrasounds they've said I've needed have been costing us money which they've been pulling from the Global account. So now we're paying out of pocket way more than the original Global fee amount when we have a very good insurance plan which would be paying 80% coverage for these things if they would just file them. Again, argh!!

To summarize, if I was pregnant this time last year at age 34, I wonder if they would be requesting these non-stress tests, ultrasounds, extra money, etc.? With the other two kids, I would arrive at the office, pee in a cup, and hear their heartbeats for about 5 seconds. If that sufficed then, why does 3 months past age 35 cause all this excessive fuss? I might just ask them that next Friday.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Glad you and he/she is healthy--sorry about the ultrasound drama! I wonder if you could have refused the extra ultrasounds?

Can't wait to meet my niece or nephew!