Thursday, February 24, 2011

Oh, what a week!

Hard to believe that one week ago right now I was laying in a delivery bed praying that my epidural would work as I awaited the time to push and welcome my newest child into the world. Matthew, Juliet and I stayed in the hospital until Sunday afternoon due to my being Group B Strep positive. However, I thoroughly enjoy the hospital stay with its room service and visits from family and friends. Once we arrived home, reality set it and my hormones raged. I swung between feeling confident and completely blessed to overwhelmed and completely incapable. Philip and Braewyn have loved getting to see Juliet on a daily basis but have had moments of insecurity caused by the changes. Juliet has also caused me several moments of mommy anxiety.

Tuesday I thought I might have to give up breastfeeding and resort to pumping and giving her bottles. She began to scream and turn beet red every time I brought her to my breast. I realized the next few days it was probably due to my using hand sanitizer right before feeding her and accidentally getting some in her mouth. That stuff is nasty as I licked my finger to see what she was experiencing. Last night, she became even sleepier than she had been and upon taking her temperature, Matthew and I realized it was because she was so cold -- 95.4 degrees F! I immediately called our hospital's 24-hour nurse line. A wonderfully kind male nurse reassured me that my concern was valid. He told me to bundle her up with blankets straight out of the dryer and take her temp again in an hour. We praised God when the temp came back as 97.9 F. She ate much better after than. I fed her (she is now again breastfeeding with little objection) at 11:30pm and then climbed into bed at 12:30am. I woke up at 4:00am to see her sleeping peacefully. I awoke her and she ate very well again. We both went back to sleep and I woke up with Matthew at 6:30am! A very good night for week one.

Here's the week in photos.

Meeting her grandparents.


Hanging out in the hospital.


All ready to go home!


Finally at home.





4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kim! Congratulations to you and your budding family! I look at your blog from time to time, and when Lori told me of your new little one I was so excited to hear the news! She is beautiful. :-) Enjoy all the tiny blessings of these days!

*Jess* said...

I would have been scared too! Group B strep babies have a hard time holding their body temperature! Thank goodness she is okay!

Woody said...

Kim, I am so sorry I didn't know until Thurs when you, Philip, and Braewyn weren't there at BSF. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Grammy (Bev) said...

Congratulations! Juliet is adorable and looks quite comfortable with her big brother and sister already:)