Monday, February 13, 2006

Our Busy Weekend

This past weekend was pretty busy and held many first's for our little Philip. Friday night we attended a Boiling Springs High School basketball game. It was pretty fun although the Bulldogs lost by one point! Philip had a good time watching the game, looking around at the students around us and even giving some of them his new face. Best caption for the face is "I'm not sure if I like you or not!" He didn't fuss much for being out until 10:15pm.

Saturday, we attended our friend Ben's 7th birthday party at McDonald's. Ben is the son of our good friends Melanie and Ron. I was planning to hold out until Philip was 2 before feeding him McDonald's food (you know, trying to be so healthy as we were with the B.B.F.F. and all), but through some friendly persuasion, Philip enjoyed his first Happy Meal. I was sad to see they've done away with the box and now just give you a bag. He also ate some of Ben's cake and ice cream before heading to the playground.


This is where it gets interesting. I entered the spiral staircase with Philip and we're doing great. We got to the top at which time you enter a yellow tube which curves to the left. I began feeling claustrophobic and just wanted out (kids don't have these fears I assume). Melanie's older son Clay was coming through at that time. I had asked him earlier if he would take Philip down the slide so he was glad to take over at this point as chaperone through the playarea. I felt safe with Philip being with Clay and scrambled back down the spiral staircase where I was greeted by Melanie and Matthew laughing at me. A few seconds later we begin hearing crying from inside playground. My maternal instincts were in high gear. I rushed back in and up the spiral staircase -- I was finding my son! Well, I wiggled myself through this thing and out down the spiral slide as fast as I could. Matthew was holding Philip who had tears on his cheeks. I had abandoned my baby and he got scared without me! I felt horrible. Clay had done a great job getting him through, but I guess that's why the age limit is 3-12 and not younger. To tell you the truthful end of this story, I went back through the playarea so I could enjoy the slide without being so worried about Philip!

We left the party at 2:30, Philip caught a 45 minute nap at home, and then we headed to USC Upstate's afternoon basketball game. A friend and coworker of Matthew's was being inducted into their Athletic Hall of Fame during halftime. I was not that interested in watching the game (basketball overload) so when Philip began fidgetting, we went out to the lobby to play.

Sunday evening, we attended a True Love Waits rally with our youth group. Philip was great throughout the praise band's time of leading worship and even clapped when everyone else was. He was content for part of the speaker's talk, but after books and a snack could not keep his attention, he and I headed out to the lobby for some serious wall-cruising. (In a past post, I mentioned that he's walking. Well, he won't come away from the wall, and plus he has now mastered crawling too. It might be a few more weeks before real walking begins!). After the rally, we made a quick stop at Krispy Kreme across the street. It was Philip's first taste of a glazed doughnut. Not sure how much he actually tasted though because his jacket was heavily covered with glaze flakes!

1 comment:

Lori said...

Such a big boy Philip . . . eating your first Happy Meal!!! McDonald's is one of my favorite guilty pleasures, so Aunt Lori will have to treat you to many more Happy Meals!