Thursday, February 23, 2006

Mom's Next Challenge

Mom and Dad had appointments today with her urologist and chemo doctors. The urologist said from her numbers (she is recording how many cc's of urine she is voiding (peeing) and how many she is catheterizing throughout the day and night), it looks like her bladder is recovering. He said to only catheterize twice a day and just before going to bed. When the catheter number is below a total of 200 for two days in a row, she can stop using the catheter. We pray that will be soon. The chemo doctor said that for people who've had her type of cancer with pre-surgery chemo/radiation and surgery, there is a 69% chance that the cancer will not return. That leaves a 31% chance that it might and if it did, it might be in the lymph nodes and could appear in the liver (much harder to fight). If Mom did decide to take more chemo, her chances of non-reoccurance would increase to 86% (not 100% but I suppose no doctor can promise those odds). Her doctor did say he was worried how her body would react to the chemo since she had such a horrible time after her first week of chemo back in October. He had to be honest and say he would not want this chemo to harm her even more with possibly hospitalization or worse as the side effects.
I ask that you please keep my Mom and Dad in your prayers for the Lord to give them clear wisdom and guidance during the next month. They have another appointment with her chemo doctor at that time at which they will give him their decision about more chemo or not. At first when she told me, I thought 31% of reoccurance was about a 1 in 3 chance which seems high to me. However, she could be one of the 2 not to get cancer again. To go through the torture that she felt after taking chemo last time for no reason would be horrible. Not often do we face truly life-changing decisions, but this is when we should rely on God the most. I quoted Mom my favorite Scripture verse while on the phone, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path," Proverbs 3:5-6. As Christians, we are to CLAIM the promises God has given us in His word. This is our chance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm continuing to pray for you and your family. I know that your mom is blessed by your encouragement each day. Related to the previous post, it is difficult to think about our little guys being teenagers! It's my constant prayer that Drew will grow into a godly young man who stands out among today's moral flimsiness. Sometimes I find that in trying to protect Drew, I keep him from being a boy. "Wild At Heart" by John Eldgredge is a great book for moms of boys. Even though it's written for men, I got a great reminder of how God designed men to be. It's helped me let Drew be adventurous and just be a boy!

Casey Wallace said...

We continue to pray for your mom's health and your family's strength. Much love to you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Patty, God already knows how often I think of you... I just wanted to tell you myself! Everyday I chat with him and ask that he will help guide you and direct you to the right path. Prayers and happy thoughts are always heading your way. Hugs to you dear friend.

With You In Mind,
Valerie


Dear Kim,
Thanks again for continually updating us on Mom's progress. It means so much to me and all her dear friends near and far. Loved your family, Philip, and youth group stories. It makes me smile to see what an incredible young woman you are and how blessed your family is to have you.

IN HIM,
Valerie