Thursday, October 05, 2006

More prayers for Mom (and Dad)

Mom is still having a terribly difficult time recovering. She continues to go to the bathroom 8+ times a day which is leaving her bottom raw. On top of that, she thinks she has another fissure (a tear inside) which makes it that much more painful. She has two doctors appointments today which I ask your prayers for. She met with her gastrointerologist at 11:30am this morning. I hope everything went well but haven't talked to Mom or Dad yet. She was meeting with him to schedule a colonoscopy (routine to do a year after after cancer). However, if you've ever had one, you know the prep part is not too pleasant and keeps you on the toilet pretty regularly for 3-4 hours. She is terrified of the pain that might cause. At 4:00pm today, she was meeting with her surgeon who might have to examine her. The last time she was examined, it caused her first fissure and was like torture. I pray this won't be as bad.

I'm sure having a really hard time with this. It's hard seeing your mom in pain almost all the time. She gets so mad that she is still dealing with this and is pretty much homebound. Unfortunately, it is causing her to experience severe depression and her mind is filling with lies (I'll never get better; I wish I hadn't made it through surgery). I know she is in a serious spiritual battle as well. Beth Moore said in a talk once that Satan can't directly attack God so he goes after what is nearest and dearest to His heart, His children. I believe many of the awful thoughts running through Mom's head were put there by Satan. I asked that you pray for Mom's physical healing of course but also for her spiritual strength. I pray she might find herself fully relying on Philippians 4:12-13, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

Thank you for praying also for my Dad. I cannot imagine what it would be like if Matthew were seriously ill for over a year. God did bring a blessing directly for my Dad and I'm glad to share in it. He as well as Matthew have been attending a men's Bible study at our church on Thursday mornings. A few weeks ago, there was a drawing and my Dad won two tickets to this Sunday's Carolina Panthers game! I'm excited because he chose me to go with him. I look forward to this time of spending the day with my Dad and hope it will give him a much needed day of relaxation and happiness.

No comments: