Sunday, October 01, 2006

Goodbye Samson


Our pet ferrets have been part of the family. They stepped down a notch when Philip came along, however we tried to provide a good home for them. After Merlin passed on last September, we still had Griffin and Samson. Now we only have Griffin.

Samson began getting really sick back around Christmas time. The fur on his back and hind legs fell out as he was suffering from adrenal tumors. We thought we would lose him last spring. Well, he had a miraculous recovery, his fur grew back and he seemed fine all summer. Toward the end of August, I could tell he was losing weight and I could feel the tumors growing in his abdomen. As September passed, Samson got considerably worse (skinnier, more diarrhea and less eating). Last Wednesday, I made an appointment for Monday, Oct. 2 to take Griffin for his yearly shots and to put Samson to sleep.


By that point Samson was not even walking much so we knew he didn't need to suffer. Thursday, I came home from picking up Philip after Bible Study and found Samson motionless in the cage. He had passed away. It made me sad that we weren't here to say goodbye as soon as he had died. His body was a little stiff so I didn't move him due to my being pregnant and it being just too gross. Merlin passed away before our eyes so we could pet his still warm body. I was sad we didn't get that with Samson. Matthew buried him in the backyard next to Merlin.


Griffin seems to be getting along fine all alone. I'll probably be more apt to get him out of the cage more now. He's always been my special teddy bear ferret, calm and cuddly.

3 comments:

Len and Carrie said...

I am so sorry about your little ferret! It can be so hard loosing a pet.
Sending hugs!!!

~Carrie~

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about your loss.

Casey Wallace said...

Animals are such a blessing. My dog has been like my child. I can't imagine losing him. I am so, so sorry about Samson.