Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Prayer for Baby Sister to stay put!

Today I had my 28-week OB appointment. Baby Sister is looking great and growing stronger by the day. We had Philip with us today and I think he enjoyed watching her on the ultrasound monitor. The tech was scanning over her feet and Philip said, "Baby Sister running." (We've unofficially named her "Baby Sister".) However, you might have read my prior post about how they are monitoring me closely as I went into preterm labor with Philip. Well, thankfully they decided to go this route because today my FFN test came back positive.

The FFN test is done like a pap smear and looks for a certain protein. This protein is present in the early weeks of pregnancy and works as a glue to help seal off the uterus and cervix. It should not show up again until after 37 weeks. In high-risk pregnancies, this test is done because if the protein begins to show up, it can indicate that your body might be in the early stages of labor (a problem before 37 weeks as the baby is not developed completely). I have been having a few contractions here and there along with back pain and nauseau. The tough part is the nurse who called me didn't really give me any guidance other than, "Call us immediately if you have 4 contractions within an hour."


I was talking with Matthew about what things I should or shouldn't do, and he has the greatest attitude and always says, "Don't you believe that the baby will come out only when God says it's time?" I do believe God has me and our child completely in His care, but I wish I could have a check list of do's and don't. I suppose it's just an overall "Don't overdo it and get a little extra rest." I pray she'll stay with me for at least two more months. I guess I've been a little overconfident because even though I did go into labor with Philip at 32 weeks, the weekend in the hospital was actually quite relaxing and then he was still born 4 days after his due date. This time, I would like to avoid the hospital "dress rehearsal" if at all possible because we now have a 2-year-old Philip whom I love caring for each day as his mommy.


Thank you for your prayers for us. My next appointment is February 26. Lord-willing, I can just slide from appointment to appointment, staying rested, and deliver a healthy baby girl in April or May.

1 comment:

Lori said...

We are praying for you and Baby Girl. I think it's probably a very good sign that they didn't put you on bedrest, but you should still take it easy.

Congratulations to Philip on his recen successes with potty training! Way to go. About the frequency--just make him sit (or stand) there for a little while. Hannah used to put up a fuss, but we always say push really hard one more time, and if no more pee pee comes out, then you can be all done. She soon realized that she was often not emptying her bladder completely. Not that you haven't figured this out, but the chocolate chips are also probably the reason for the frequency--haha!