Saturday, February 17, 2007

Taking it day by day

Thankfully, I'm still pregnant. This Baby Girl needs to stay with me as long as she can so I'm taking it much slower and just going from day to day. I spoke with Lesa, the mom of one of the girls in my 10th grade Sunday School class, the other night. She works in our hospital's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit so I knew she would be able to tell me how serious this situation really is. She did say I should do everything I can to keep the baby with me for at least 6 more weeks. She said there is a huge difference in 28 weeks along and 34 weeks along. She reassured me that our daughter has a really good chance anytime past now but it would just mean a longer time for her to remain in the hospital. What broke my heart the most is when she said there are some bonding issues associated with a baby being in NICU. As apprehensive as I am about learning to love a second child under normal circumstances, I cannot imagine having to visit her for only short periods of each day and then leave her all alone in the hospital to come home. I also don't think Philip would be allowed in there so he would be so confused and that would be an extra burden on me having to split my time between them.

Yesterday, my mom spent most of the day at my house. She really helped reorganize Philip's dresser and closet. There is actually space for baby girl clothes now! I sat on Philip's bed while she worked and then I took a nap while she cleaned my kitchen. I praise the Lord for my mom. God works ALL things for the good of those who love Him, and I thank Him that she is feeling well enough to take some time now to take care of me. It's also a great way for her to get out of her own house and still feel comfortable with having my bathroom just steps away. She might come over once or twice a week which will do us both a lot of good. She was just really concerned that I wasn't taking the preterm labor report seriously enough. I thank her and everyone else who have been so concerned about me and have helped me to see that protecting my unborn daughter is definitely worth me putting my life on hold for 2-3 months.

Thank you for your prayers. I did have 7 contractions yesterday, but thankfully they were spaced out over 12 hours. It will be a little frustrating to feel this way for 12 more weeks, but I'll take it if it means bringing home our sweet baby girl straight from the hospital when I leave.

3 comments:

Len and Carrie said...

Kim,
I know exactly how you feel. I too have to be careful of preterm labor b/c of my short cervix. It's hard not being able to be "normal". I can't even lift the girls. Hang in there and take it slow and remember it's not forever, just a little bit and it will be worth it.

~Carrie~

Anonymous said...

Kim, I've been keeping up on everything, but haven't had a chance to comment until now. It really is a praise that your doctor's office is being so proactive and you're able to "be ahead" of what could happen. I can only imagine how hard it must be to try to rest as much as possible with a toddler running around, but I sure am glad for your mom and other family who can come over and help with Philip.

I'll be praying for you and your sweet baby girl to stay healthy and for the little one to hold on tight until the perfect time!

Alison said...

Kim,

It was great seeing you and little Philip at the school on Valentine's day! I know Ruth Ann was wonderfully surprised! He is such a cutie and he's so smart!

I'm thinking of you and praying that you and "baby sister" remain healthy throughout the rest of your pregnancy!

~Alison