Monday, July 28, 2008

A Good Day From Beginning to End... Well, Almost

Today was a fun day. It started with getting up, having breakfast with Daddy, getting the kids and I dressed, and heading out the door to Philip's swimming lesson. All the kids seemed to fall right back into routine. I wasn't sure how some of them would do as it had been three days since being there. Philip has lost a little of initial excitement and seems to come out of the pool shivering to death each day, but he hung in there and I could see that he really is making improvements. About 10 minutes until 10:00am (the lesson is over at 10:00am), his teacher leads the class to the deep end of the pool. A few other moms and I were wondering how deep that part was so I walked down there to see and watch the group close up. It is 11 1/2 feet deep!! When Philip's turn came, he calmly climbed up onto the platform (like a swim meet starting block), and lept into the water where his teacher was waiting, floating herself on some sort of "life-saving device". He bobbed to the surface and she got him headed in the direction of the ladder. Philip swam about two feet all by himself!! The funny part is that I'm amazed how brave he was, but honestly the 3 1/2 feet shallow end is over his head too so where he jumps in really doesn't matter.

Next we drove over to the hospital to visit our very good friend Mary Ann who had suffered a mini-stroke on Friday but sustained no side effects at all. Thank you, Lord!! It was great seeing her and I believe Philip and Braewyn provided (as they usually do) much needed comic relief for her and her husband, Hank (our pastor). Philip and "Pastor Hank" (whom Philip called "Papa" by accident once, but made Hank's day) played "I Spy" out the room window. The parking garage was in view from the room so Hank suggested to Philip that if Mommy would drive him to the top, he would wave to Philip from the window. I had parked on the 5th level so it wasn't a problem as there were only 6 levels. We got to the top and could actually see Hank waving from the window. Cool! The other really cool part was that there were hardly any cars up there and no obstructions. I had a strong inclination to do doughnuts in my car, but remembered that my pastor might be watching for one and simply thinking of him as a family friend, I didn't want to portray myself as a DSS-reportable mom slinging my kids around in the back of the car!

Matthew met us at home for lunch and we cleaned out the fridge of leftovers. My favorite kind of meal. Braewyn actually slept through lunch and so I was hoping to get Philip down for a nap while she was still asleep. I took him to my bedroom (where he naps usually) and started reading "Green Eggs and Ham". He was bouncing around and I was falling asleep midsentence ("I will not eat them in..." "Mommy, read!"). I figured at least one of us should get some rest, so I let him play Tinkertoys while I slept for 15 minutes. My funny boy says as I kissed him on the top of his head before he left my room to go play in the living room, "Mommy, don't kiss me on my head. Kiss me on my... my... sweet face."

Once up and at 'em again, I cooked Chicken Divan (great recipe of Paula Dean's!) for Matthew's aunt Elise and family. (I should have posted this earlier, but Elise broke her ankle while in Honduras a few weeks ago on a mission trip. Can you imagine flying home with a broken ankle?! She had surgery on it two weeks ago and is now into 8 weeks of not being able to put any pressure on it; i.e. out of work from her job at the hospital operating room, and spending her days propped up on the couch playing Wii and reading blog! Hope you're having a good day, Elise! We're praying for you.) After it was finally finished, the kids and I drove the casserole to Elise's house and visited for a few minutes with her, Mollie (her daughter and one of my best buddies!), and Michael (Mollie's hubby).

At 6:35pm while driving home, I called Matthew who was just leaving work (big project at the end of this week) and we decided to meet at a recently renovated McDonald's (they actually have a coffee bar and free WiFi!). Philip was excited as I told him it had a really nice new playground too. We headed over to eat in the playground room, sitting down beside two Hispanic families. Philip says OUT LOUD, "Mommy, I can speak Spanish. (insert three-year-old's attempt at Spanish here)." I may as well enroll him in Spanish class since he already thinks he can speak it.

We drive home and the kids go in the tub. Bathtime goes fairly well, but I could tell they were both getting cranky and tired. After getting into pajamas, we should have gone straight to bed but went to the living room instead. Philip starts saying he's hungry (too excited at McD's to eat much) so I gave him one option: bread with peanut butter on it. I thought he said yes so I went to fix it. Braewyn meanwhile was enjoying typing on Daddy's laptop. He had been working on the couch and she was looking on inquisitively. Matthew clicked over to Notepad so she could type away. Somehow she would click it back to his program (a few seconds before he noticed) and scared the life out of him. After doing it again, Matthew said "No more, Braewyn, all done." Side note, Braewyn does not adjust well to being told no to something she's enjoying. The temper tantrum starts and my flashbacks of walking the floor with a five-month-old banshee return. Meanwhile, back to Philip, I return from the kitchen with a piece of peanut butter bread and he says he wants regular bread. I say "Sorry, this was what was offered. Let's just go to bed."

Matthew and I walk two screaming children down the hall, place them in beds, tell them we love them, and close the door. Ten minutes later there is silence in our house. I am totally and completely blessed to live with these three amazing people whom God has brought into my life.

No comments: