Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Two Peas in a Pod

Philip and Braewyn have shared a room since she was 5 months old. They slept in the room at nights while she napped in the office and he in their room. Finally around 8 months, I moved her back in their room for naps and told Philip if he woke her up he'd be disciplined (obviously if it wasn't an accident, i.e. jumping on his bed saying "Braewyn, wake up!"). They did ok for a while if I could get one of the two in first and asleep before the other came in. About three months ago (she 12 months, he little over 3 years old), they began virtually throwing parties in the room at nap time. It would be 30-40 minutes sometimes and I'd say several times, "You need to lay down. Philip, if you don't talk to Braewyn, she'll fall asleep." That's when I decided to let Philip nap on mine and Matthew's bed and leave Braewyn in her crib alone in their room. This worked!! There were (and still are) many days when Philip says, "Mommy, can this be a day when I don't rest?" He's trying to worm his way out of a nap and I'm trying my hardest to find a way to squeeze one in (for ME!). Somedays, I risk it and put them in their room together. Some days it works, some days not so good. Some days Philip and I can fall asleep on my bed together, some days I'll dose off only to be poked awake five minutes later. I suppose Philip is outgrowing napping but I'm hanging on to it for dear life as long as possible.

Now there's also the nighttime issue these days. Sharing a room has pluses, but also minuses as in one early riser means two early risers. When we only had Philip and he was 14 months old, he slept a good 12 hours at night (bed around 8pm and awaking around 8am) plus two naps during the day. Boys and girls are as different as night and day, but before I tag Braewyn as whiny and high-maintenance, I really need to give her a chance to get more sleep. The poor girl is only getting the same amount of sleep as Philip gets these days and he's 2 1/2 years older, whole different sleep pattern. Now with the two, we're doing good to get them in bed by 9pm. And then they sleep like rocks until... 6:45am!! (Also I've been hearing Braewyn cry for a few seconds around 5:30am most mornings.) That's when Philip gets out of bed, loudly opens and closes their bedroom door and uses the bathroom. Poor Braewyn is probably soundly sleeping until CLICK! She then cries and some mornings will fall back asleep for 45 minutes to an hour. But some mornings doesn't. It makes for a long day especially this week and next with us going to swim lessons during the time she would love to be napping. She has fallen asleep in the car on the way home each day, but she usually awakens when we get home or to whatever destination is next. I think next week, I'll just come straight home and let her sleep for an hour.

Well, just wanted to "jot this down on paper" so I can read it back in ten years when I'm telling them for the fourth time, "Get up. You need to get ready for school!" And yes, Lord-willing, we'll be in another house by then and they'll each have their own rooms!

1 comment:

*Jess* said...

And that, my friend, is precisely why we moved :) I kept thinking it would get easier for them to share a room as Jayce got older, but it just never worked for them!