Wednesday, July 23, 2008

We love swimming lessons!

July continues to be a month of firsts for Philip. This week, he started swimming lessons. I really didn't know how he would do, but I say as humbly as possible, he's maybe the best in his class! I knew he was very comfortable being in the water before starting the lessons but sometimes he gets kind of bashful in different circumstances and his lessons are in a big aquatic center pool with classes of all different types going on all at the same times. Well, my questions were answered the first morning when I could see across the room his teacher asking all the kids to put their faces into the water. A few had to be asked again to do it and some complied but barely let their noses touch the water's surface. And then there's Philip... his teacher says put your face in the water, he's COMPLETELY UNDERWATER! I couldn't even see him from where I was sitting. As there are 6 kids in the class and the teacher can only take them into the water one at a time, there's a lot of down time waiting on the submersed platform (the pool is between 3 to 4 feet deep so the kids stand on an underwater platform so they are not underwater themselves). Well, during that down time, Philip is underwater, up for air, underwater, up for air, and so on. When it is his turn, he's so cute kicking his little legs or jumping from the side into the water toward his waiting teacher. My heart goes out to the parents of the screaming, anxious children, but I am thankful that by means of water cups over the head during bathtime and his daddy's comfort level in the water, we've helped Philip develop such a love for the water. This fact was a main reason we thought he better takes lessons now to bring guidance to his fearless abandon. Well, enough said. Here are some cute videos from today's lesson. Mom joined us this morning which was helpful as Braewyn was glad to walk around. Braewyn's fearless abandon will be the subject of my next post.



2 comments:

*Jess* said...

Oh my goodness! Look at him go! What a fish!

Katie Turner said...

too cute!! you've got a real swimmer on your hands!