Friday, September 09, 2005

B.B.F.F.


Our biggest milestone with Philip these last few weeks has been eating solid food. Kind of misleading as all his food is pudding-consistency! Anyway, I decided to try to make his food myself. Now that I'm staying at home, I try to save money anyway I can (Matthew might disagree!) so I bought a book called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. It decribes how to turn almost any fruit, vegetable, grain or meat into baby food and at which age to introduce which foods to your baby. Making the baby food is a little bit time consuming, but we are saving some money and a lot of pantry space!! The best part is that Matthew and I try to make Philip's food together in the evenings once Munchkin is in bed. Matthew named our process B.B.F.F. (Brooks Baby Food Factory)! It's a great time which we spend together chatting about stuff and honestly just getting away from the television (which is a rarity in our house). Philip's latest dish is something I really wasn't sure if he would like... asparagus!! You can see in the photo that after peeling the stalks, steaming them, pureeing in the blender and straining, we spoon the yummy green pudding into ice cube trays. They freeze overnight and the next day, I pop them out and into freezer bags from which his meals come! Today's lunch menu: asparagus (a little yucky by itself) mixed with sweet potatoes. Philip ate it up!

1 comment:

Katie Turner said...

That is so smart!! My friend was saying how they are doing the make your own baby food thing and saving a ton by doing it. I think I'm going to put this in my "future Turner baby" file folder of great ideas and thins to remember -- and you laugh but I do truly have a file folder in our home office called "future baby Turner". I plan too much, I know! :)