Friday, September 16, 2005

Our Control or God's

Since entering this battle of cancer with my mom, my refuge has been in knowing we are each held gently and lovingly in the hand of God. He had our days counted even before the creation of the world. Some may see this as weak, but what could be more comforting than knowing Jesus is walking along side me through every trial in life. I've recently started watching a show about women facing life issues who come to live in a house together and work through exercises with psychologists ("Life Coaches"). I think it appeals to me as a woman because women want to be there for each other and learn from each other along the way. There have been small nuggets of truth in it (we are all important and we all need love), however it makes me sad when the women are told that they can get through their issues all on their own if they just try hard enough and continue to work at it. The show ended today with one of the Life Coaches saying, "What are you willing to risk to gain complete control of your life?" That one sentence is where our world has gone considerably wrong and that show is a mini-version of the world and all the struggles people are going through. Everyone is striving to do what makes them happy. They have lost contact with the fact that God put us here to bring glory to Him and not simply please ourselves.
"I have seen You in the sanctuary and beheld Your power and Your glory. Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You. I will praise You as long as I live, and in Your name I will lift up my hands." Psalm 63:2-4

No comments: