Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Big Boy Philip

Yesterday when I checked Philip's diaper after his morning nap, it was completely dry. This posed a great opportunity to give Philip a first test run on the potty. I took off his diaper and plopped him on our toilet. I just held him under his arms and talked to him. It was just a no pressure time to play potty. But how excited I was when I looked behind him and saw yellow water!! Yeah Philip, you peepee-ed in the potty!! I was so happy, but he didn't exactly understand why Mommy was clapping and hugging him.

Well, today I thought we'd give it a shot again because again his diaper was not wet after his nap. I sat him up on the toilet and waited. He was looking at me like, "What am I doing, Mommy?" I was just about to turn the sink water on (you know that helps you go), when there comes the peepee down into the toilet. I again got excited and told Philip how proud I was of him. When I looked behind him to see if he was finished, to my surprise there was a poopy too! He's mastered pottying on his second day. Just kidding but I pray maybe this means he won't be too hard to potty train. We won't seriously focus on potty training full time for at least several more months (the poor boy can't even speak yet!), but Matthew agreed that it's ok for me to "practice" with him by sitting him on the toilet after his naps. This weekend we're going to buy a child potty so Philip can practice walking to it and sitting on it himself. I've read that training a child by making the activity fun makes all the difference. I'll let you know his progress as we practice pottying.

2 comments:

Casey Wallace said...

Wow, big step! Congrats to Philip!

Anonymous said...

If and when you want some war stories and lessons learned, let me know!