Saturday, August 22, 2009

Booboo Braewyn

Our precious girl has had a week. On Tuesday, we visited the first house of our house hunting adventure (a full blog post coming tomorrow, but in short, we've visited 11 houses and are deciding between two we really like!). We were approaching the front door and poor Braewyn begins running down the drive and toward the front door. Mind you, there is a brick front step in front of the door. She trips and falls on her arms and hands about a foot out from that brick step. My heart lept but was so thankful when I realized her face had not hit the ground!!

Next incident was sorrowfully self-induced. On Wednesday we babysat a little friend from church. Braewyn, Philip and Laney were sitting happily on the couch watching Veggie Tales, and also happily sharing a bowl of popcorn. A few minutes later as I'm in the kitchen, Braewyn and Laney walk into the kitchen and Braewyn says, "Mommy, popcorn, nose." She's pointing to her nose. I notice an unpopped popcorn kernel in one nostril of Braewyn and Laney each. My heart started racing. What to do!! I ran to the bathroom for the tweezers, laid Braewyn across my knees and tried to withdraw the kernel. I couldn't get a grip on it. I ran to the kitchen with the girls following me.

I took out some toothpicks and turned to approach the girls. Braewyn suddenly has her finger in her nose trying to get the kernel but instead pushing it further in her nose. I turn to Laney who thankfully has not touched her nose. I am easily able to flick the kernel from her nostril and breathe a sigh of relief. But my poor Braewyn!! I tilted up her nose and could see the shiny edge of the kernel high in her nasal passage!! Call the pediatrician.

I took her in after lunch (yes, Braewyn ate lunch with popcorn still in her nose) as that was their first available appointment. I'm trying to remain calm so she wouldn't get scared, but I was really nervous as to what procedure would be used to remove an object from my daughter's nose. Praise God because it went so well. Braewyn willingly told Dr. Shelley, "Popcorn nose" and then laid pretty still as Dr. Shelley used a sort of scissors / needle nose plier to remove the kernel. Popcorn free!!

Well, things often come in threes and Braewyn's third "injury" came Thursday evening. Philip was run down from the week and a little cranky. He decided Braewyn needed to have a few of her things. Matthew and I were in the kitchen while the kids were in the living room. I didn't realize anything was happening as there is often squealing in the house. We found out that he threw her baby dolls and stroller at her before hitting her with something which made contact and produced a loud cry. Here she is with her shiner which came from Philip throwing none other than...

a small blue Gideon New Testament at her face!!!


(I'm realizing now the popcorn and bruised face were week before last and the fall at the house was this past Tuesday. It all runs together!)

2 comments:

*Jess* said...

Poor Braewyn!

Katie Turner said...

Oh the joys of motherhood abound, I am sure. :) Even though you had told me the popcorn story, I enjoyed reading it too. Such adorable kids you have! I love Philip's enthusiasm to "spread the Word" to his sister. :)