Monday, March 12, 2007

Another Venture into the Kitchen...

This pregnancy I'm not really craving specific things just FOOD in general! I'm not sure if it makes it worse or works well as an outlet, but I've started watching the Food Network a lot over the last several months. Usually the food looks really good but too hard to make so I just drool in front of the tv. Well, the other night Matthew and I watched "The Secret Life of... Waffles". I love waffles and we were actually given a waffle iron as a wedding present. It's been used probably less than 10 times in the 7 years we've had it.




Well, last Wednesday morning (the morning after watching that waffle show Tuesday night), I was determined to make waffles. And make them from scratch as they had on the show. The waffle iron might not look like the toughest of kitchen gadgets, but I was still proud of myself. It was the first time I had ever separated the egg yolk from the whites in the shell and then beat the whites to a stiff consistency. The waffles turned out pretty good. It was a traditional recipe and I suppose traditionally, they are served with fruit and whipped cream on top because the waffles themselves weren't that sweet (I did add blueberries to the batter). However, plenty good to me after adding butter and syrup!!



This morning, Philip and I ate the last two so I might have to make another batch later this week. Maybe I'll add chocolate chips this time!

1 comment:

Casey Wallace said...

Mmmmmm, waffles. I wish we had a waffle iron. I'd be tempted to buy one, but since we move all the time, it'd just be one more thing to pack around! I guess I'll have to settle for the frozen variety now that you've made me crave them! :)