Tuesday, January 06, 2009

My Mental Journey Through the Topic of Educating My Children

If you had asked me two months ago if I would consider homeschooling my children, I would have quickly said no. My reasonings were truthful yet selfish: I don't know anything about teaching school, I'm not organized enough, I look forward to the day I can send my children off to school so I can have some time to myself again, and maybe I would like to get a fun job at Hobby Lobby or something! I love Philip and Braewyn completely, but there are days when I am very ready for Matthew to come home and "take over". The idea of spending everyday always together seemed a little overwhelming when I thought about it being for YEARS to come.

Well, around the first week of December, I kept hearing friend after friend mention she was planning on homeschooling her children, the subject was mentioned in a magazine article I read and a brochure for My Father's World homeschool curriculum was on the information table at our MOPS meeting. I thought to myself, maybe God is really wanting me to think about this! I knew this was definitely not something to make a spur of the moment decision about. I mentioned to Matthew that the idea of homeschooling was in my mind but not in any formal fashion and I would just be pondering it over and "researching" it by asking friends who do homeschool and/or are planning to do so.

The more I thought about it, the more I got excited about the idea. At the same time, I continued praying for God to show me His clear direction as I didn't have a complete feeling of peace about it. Also, I struggle with getting Philip and Braewyn to comply to simple requests when they're not in the mood so I wondered how taxing homeschooling really would be. Philip was also showing signs of failing to obey authority figures outside our home (didn't do his craft in Sunday School, sat down during basketball practice because he was tired) which made me wonder if keeping him home would only perpetuate that problem.

I continued talking with friends about which curriculums they use and planned on getting together with a few in January. As I do with anything that perks my interest, I next went to the internet and searched for "homeschool curriculum". Boy, did that blow me away. I spent a few good hours reading over all sorts of plans and honestly became overwhelmed and confused about which I would choose if I did so.

That feeling of peace was still not in my spirit, but I knew my God is faithful and so continued to think this subject over until He sent me my answer. I then also spoke with some friends who have children in our public school system. They all told me they really felt good about the experiences their children have had. Many of the teachers are Christians and although they cannot teach Christian material in the classroom, they display a wonderful Christian example to the children.

Thankfully, God has brought me my answer just in the last few days with a peace that is so comforting. Matthew's opinion on this matter was obviously a key part in my decision as well and this whole process has been "verified" by something I read while studying the Bible. First Matthew favors the idea of public school (I don't want to misquote him, but I think he basically believes that kids become most well-rounded socially and academically in that atmosphere). I would never overrule him on such a substantial decision for our family as this so that came into play. Secondly, I was reading about David being told by God to attack the Philistines while he was in hiding from King Saul (1 Samuel 23:1-6). He told the people he was with who asked him if he was sure about that. David went to God and asked again if that's what he should do.

About these verses, Beth Moore writes in "David: 90 Days with a Heart Like His" (pg. 135), "David did not ask God a second time because he doubted God, but because he needed to be certain. In the same way, you or I might ask God to reconfirm His direction -- not because we doubt God's Word, but because we question our understanding. To doubt God in the face of clear direction is disobedience, but to double-check our understanding and interpretation of God's will is prudent." I did not want to disobey God is He truly wanted me to homeschool, but I just didn't know if that's what He was really telling me

All that being said, God has helped me re-evaluate my motives, and the "plan" Matthew and I have (unless God speaks to us again) is for me to homeschool Philip for preschool (a.k.a. K-4), and then send him to public Kindergarten and further grades. I feel complete peace about this decision. I am certain that God wanted me to think about homeschooling because it brought me to saying that if yes, He wanted me to do so, yes I would do so. What God is suggesting is not always what He wants you to really do, but He just wants to see your faithfulness in saying yes to do so (i.e. Abraham almost taking his son Isaac's life).

This spring, I'm loosely doing K-3 preschool homeschool by using a book entitled, "Before Five in a Row" (activites are provided to use along side a children's book), learning letters and numbers by playing Old Maid and Go Fish, coloring, etc. Next schoolyear, I will be using an actual preschool homeschool curriculum (still working on deciding which one) for him on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday as we continue to attend MOPS on Tuesdays and his last year of BSF on Thursdays. This will give us a lot of time together, much of which Braewyn can join in.

Now the question is which elementary school will Philip attend. We are selling our house this spring to move into a different school district. There are four elementary schools and so the location of our new house will determine which he attends. I am excited to see where God leads us and what experiences He has in store for us down the road. It is an amazing feeling to live in the center of His will!!

As my favorite Bible verses say, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He will direct your path." Proverbs 3:5-6

3 comments:

*Jess* said...

I think that you have an excellent plan! And both those curriculum you have mentioned get rave reviews from my homeschooling friends :)

Anonymous said...

Such a hard decision to make! We went through a similar process and have been able to see why our choice was a good one for us.

Katie Turner said...

hmmm, I sympathize with your tough decision. I had to chuckle to myself when I saw your quote of Matthew's view of the public school system -- it sounded very similar to my husband's quote concerning the same thing. While we were engaged and going through pre-marital counseling the topic came up of where or better yet what type of school we would send our kids to and as he knew my background of private christian highschool and private Christian college, he very quickly chimed in with -- I like Public school. :) Obviously since we are not at that stage yet we didn't pursue the conversation or topic much further. But your post made me remember that. I will pray for you as you embark on new territory! I'm excited for you.