Thursday, January 12, 2006

Our Day

Mom has gotten used to the hospital and said she's actually not ready to leave by any means as she feels safer there knowing nurses are just a button away. I think she and Dad had a pretty good day. The stoma nurse showed them how to change the bag. It wasn't too bad after getting it unstuck from her side (I understand that because I hate the band-aid you get after a shot more than the shot!). My grandparents kept Philip for me as today was the first day of my BSF Bible Study class since our Christmas break. They had a ball with him and said at one moment he was laughing so hard they thought he might throw up! I'm so glad my little Minister of Happiness is able to bring joy to them during this tough time. My grandparents and Aunt Liz visited with Mom and Dad for much of the afternoon; Matthew, Philip and I saw them after dinner tonight.

I pray Mom will have a restful night nothing like last night. She told me she was in a deep sleep until at 4:00am, a nurse came to prick her finger for blood (her blood sugar had been a little high so they were monitoring it). When she woke up, she was in excrushiating pain. The nurses had overlooked her epidural and let it wear off!! She is to get a "refill" on the epidural every 12 hours and it had been 20 hours since the last dosage. Mom said she felt as if someone had taken a chairsaw to her midsection several times. How awful. It was just an oversight, but I wanted to find whomever was responsible and react in a VERY non-Christian way! She endured that pain for 45 minutes until the anesthetologist could be found and then it still took 20 minutes for the medicine to kick in. Before Matthew and I left, he prayed for her to have a very peaceful night's sleep tonight. I pray everything will be much better over the next several days.

On another subject, I have yet another prayer request. My dear friend Kim was bitten by a brown recluse spider a few days ago. She is taking antibiotics and applies some cream to the bite on her forearm each day. This spider is so poisonous and I've always thought the worst as to what happens from this kind of bite. God is all powerful and I pray He will heal her body with the most minimal damage. Thanks for remembering her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been praying for y'all every day this week! I'm so glad to see that the surgery went well and I'll keep praying for your mom's recovery.

Anonymous said...

Such great news this afternoon. I'm so glad the tube is out----but
nowhere near as glad as your mom, I know!!! Ohhh, I hope she makes it home in time to spend some time with her folks there. Give her a hug for me, please, Kim.